Racking question

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Postby Hashie » Friday Dec 23, 2005 1:37 pm

Aussie Claret wrote:I have 5 kegs on rotation and you don't have to drink them in two months. Who ever told you that doesn't know squat.

You can condition them in the keg as long as you like, the longer you leave them the better most beers are. I also CC in secondary before kegging, so all of my beers are adequately conditioned and don't taste green. They taste just as good if not better than bottled IMHO.

AC

The information I got on keg conditioning was from http://www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/hbrew.php?pid=4
There are a couple of options open to you when it comes to kegging. If you are in a hurry for the beer (a party on the weekend) and it will be consumed within a couple of months, then artificial carbonation is the best option. Natural conditioning will give you a better beer in our opinion but the conditioning period is much longer (several weeks as opposed to several days). Well made, naturally conditioned beer will last as long in the keg as it does in bottles (at least two years or so).
Artificially carbonated beer will deteriorate after a few months.

Hope this helps, I guess if Coopers know squat, then I'm in strife.
There is no such thing as bad beer. There is only good beer and better beer.
Hashie

Postby Aussie Claret » Friday Dec 23, 2005 6:59 pm

Not arguing with Mr. Cooper, but I've not had a problem keeping beer artifically carbonated.
Good onya
AC
Aussie Claret

Postby tyrone » Saturday Dec 24, 2005 8:47 am

Thanks for the help guys!I have noticed the point with the hops myself latley with what I thought to be monental stuffups turning into great beer with time.
Drinking: wheat
listening to:80's greatest hits
tyrone

Previous

Return to Kegging