storing kegs

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

storing kegs

Postby beer drinkin dave » Wednesday Jul 05, 2006 3:36 pm

im making a few batches of brew to put into kegs (18L), but cant store them all in my beer fridge. Is it best to store them at room temp carbonated, or fill the keg, purge the air out, and store, then carbonate when required.Carbonated would be easier as i just have to chill then drink.

Whats best???
beer drinkin dave

Postby gregb » Wednesday Jul 05, 2006 8:16 pm

Been repeatedley and reliably informed that storing them carbonated is best. If you've got a couple of weeks spare on them, why not try naturally cabonating them.

Don't actually keg myself (cant be trusted... :wink: ) but have read more posts here and on other forums than one can poke a stick at.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby beer drinkin dave » Thursday Jul 06, 2006 8:34 am

yeah, the only problem with natural carbonation is that it might have a bit too much sediment and possibly block the line. dunno, never tried, and my mates like the crystal clear beer.
beer drinkin dave

Postby DJ » Thursday Jul 06, 2006 10:47 am

beer drinkin dave wrote:yeah, the only problem with natural carbonation is that it might have a bit too much sediment and possibly block the line. dunno, never tried, and my mates like the crystal clear beer.

SCREW THEM.. ifs its nice and its free they'll drink it.. and if they dont.. MORE FOR YOU! :D
DJ

"No Excuses" - Kostya Tszyu
DJ

Postby Shaun » Thursday Jul 06, 2006 12:18 pm

They will be fine gassed or not the only thing you have to do is purge the keg. Try and keep them as cool as possible below 22C if you can.
Shaun

Postby Shagger » Thursday Jul 06, 2006 8:21 pm

beer drinkin dave wrote:yeah, the only problem with natural carbonation is that it might have a bit too much sediment and possibly block the line.

Racking will reduce the sediment.

Have any keggers had a blocked line from sediment?
I would've thought the pouring pressure would be enough to force out any possible blockages?
Shagger

Postby shane_vor » Friday Jul 07, 2006 7:37 am

nil blocked lines from sediment here.
I only started racking and other tricky ideas AFTER I got rid of the kegs!
Clarity is not an issue either. I found the sediment that did occur in the keg settled fairly solidly
"Happy have we met,

Happy have we been.

Happy may we part

And happy meet again."
shane_vor

Postby luke » Friday Jul 07, 2006 9:00 am

Same here, no bloked lines.

I have been told to cut the length of the outlet to raise the pipe off the bottom if it occurs. Tho iam not that brave.
luke

Postby Shaun » Friday Jul 07, 2006 12:39 pm

luke wrote: I have been told to cut the length of the outlet to raise the pipe off the bottom if it occurs. Tho iam not that brave.

You can but if you are racking you will only have one at worst two cloudy glass's the rest will be clear.

Cutting an inch off the bottom of the beer dip tube will result in you losing about two glasses of beer per keg.

I have never had a blocked line but I force carbonate not natural.
Shaun

Return to Kegging