Nothing but froth

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Nothing but froth

Postby Anzac Cookies » Thursday Sep 14, 2006 6:12 pm

Hey all, finally finished my keg setup, i force carbonated for 48hrs @ 31psi. I then dropped it down to 10psi and it was like that for a week before my taps arrived. I have tried to pull beers from both taps and all i get is froth !!!!! Any ideas ? Have i over carbonated ? :oops:
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Postby OldBugman » Thursday Sep 14, 2006 6:48 pm

Turn off gas, release some pressure. with gas off try pour a beer.
OldBugman

Postby Anzac Cookies » Thursday Sep 14, 2006 6:50 pm

I just knocked C02 down to 7-8psi, pours a treat. Having an American Pale Ale Wetpak as i type :D
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Postby OldBugman » Thursday Sep 14, 2006 7:18 pm

one other thing I found, being a generic pressure regulator the scale isnt very friendly for our pressures, I used an acetylene guage that I had lying round. 0-220kpa, works a treat.
OldBugman

Postby Anzac Cookies » Thursday Sep 14, 2006 7:37 pm

OldBugman wrote:one other thing I found, being a generic pressure regulator the scale isnt very friendly for our pressures, I used an acetylene guage that I had lying round. 0-220kpa, works a treat.

I am using a Harris 601, that should do the trick shouldnt it?
Anzac Cookies

Postby OldBugman » Thursday Sep 14, 2006 10:09 pm

I think my original one had the working pressure scale from 0-1000kpa or something silly like that
OldBugman

Postby Anzac Cookies » Thursday Sep 14, 2006 10:13 pm

I think one of my corny keg seals is stuffed, there is ice pooling in the lid and the keg has ice on it too (only the one keg, the other is fine). Could this be the problem. :?: I have disconnected it from the gas and tap til i get a seal kit for it :cry:
Anzac Cookies

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Sep 15, 2006 7:38 am

Your fridge is way to cold if you have ice forming, and is it ice or beer? If it is frozen beer you are in big trouble cause you are in a freezer. If it is ice, its not coming from the inside of the keg.

Turn the temp up a bit and then charge the cylinder and get some soapy water on the seals, look for a leak. You may need to just re-adjust the seal if it is leaking.

And yes, if you have a beer slush in your keg, your pour will be foamy. Turn the temp up man to say 38 deg F

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Anzac Cookies » Friday Sep 15, 2006 5:19 pm

Thanks DD, cranked the fridge down and it seems to be OK. Cheers for the replies fellas :D
Anzac Cookies

Return to Kegging