Keg Cleaning

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Keg Cleaning

Postby Haggy » Wednesday Oct 11, 2006 8:08 pm

Hi All
I have recently finalised my keg setup, ran a brew through the setup - still improving and learning. Still suffering from lots of froth on the first pour, hopefully overcome that problem soon :(

I was wondering what the best method is now to clean the kegs and lines in preparation of gassing a new brew in the keg? :?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Chris
Haggy

Postby Haggy » Friday Oct 13, 2006 6:19 pm

BUMP
Come on guys, with Saturday approaching it almost time to clean the keg..any hints, tips etc are appreciated.

Regards
Chris
Haggy

Postby Schooner » Friday Oct 13, 2006 8:01 pm

A good soak with napisan is what i use ( ok I will be the first to admit I am a bit slack about cleaning but am sure not the only one) give them a good rinse and I also hit them with neo pink from time to time.

If your in a pinch just rinse out well and refill

Cheer's Schoon
Schooner

Postby Schooner » Saturday Oct 14, 2006 9:27 am

Also to clean the entire system, kegs line,tap,fermenters.....stop by your local HBS and pick up some sodium hydroxide solution. I have used it a couple times and it does a good job - wicked stuff

If your refering to the first pour of the day you will get more froth, after that it does settle back down as am sure you have noticed, a beer pitcher comes in handy.

Cheer's Schoon
Schooner

Postby yardglass » Saturday Oct 14, 2006 9:51 am

haggy,

not the most experienced kegger here but i havn't had any probs with running bloody hot water through the system, then an Iodophor mix soak for 30 min then run that through the system as well.

no off tastes etc.

cheers

yard
excuse me... your karma just ran over my dogma.

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Return to Kegging