Filtering Beer

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Filtering Beer

Postby fridgeman » Monday Nov 06, 2006 6:46 am

Hi guys, Have been looking over site in the last couple of days and it is awesome. 8) I am pretty new to the homebrew scene and the ideas in the sight are fantastic,(can't wait to get started on some decent beer). I make most of my brew in kegs and my question to you all is has anyone tried to filter their beer before putting it iinto a keg?
In the beginning there was man. Then there was beer
fridgeman

Postby Aussie Claret » Monday Nov 06, 2006 11:03 am

Yes,
Check out craftbrewer for the bits and pieces you need.

It is possible when filtering AG beers to be drinking within two weeks.
I do generally leave a little longer but grain to brain in two weeks is pretty good depending upon the type of beer.

Filtering and treatment with polyclar clears yeast and other trub plus any chill haze, leaving a beautiful bright beer.

AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby fridgeman » Monday Nov 06, 2006 4:03 pm

Thanks aussie. Had a look at craftbrew but is in the wrong direction. I am a fridgy by trade and am fortunate enough to have obtained an under bar glycol chiller for next to nothing. Have been experimenting with differnt size water sediment filters to see if I can cold filter my beer through the chiller and then into the filter. Down to 5 micron filter with still not much success. Next step is try down to 1 micron. Bit unsure if this will take out all the yeast as I would prefer to still bottle some from each batch to keep for later on, will this effect secondary ferment if too much yeast is removed??
Cheers for the info.
fridgeman

Postby OldBugman » Monday Nov 06, 2006 4:15 pm

ME AM FRIDGY
OldBugman

Postby goq11k_76 » Tuesday Nov 07, 2006 6:03 pm

anyone using a filter like this one:

http://craftbrewer.com.au/index.php?pag ... &Itemid=29

was thinking about filtering myself for lagers and pilseners later on
pilsner is the love of my life...
goq11k_76

Postby fridgeman » Tuesday Nov 07, 2006 10:43 pm

Pretty much what I have in place at the moment except in a water filter. Just waiting on a 1 micron sediment filter cartridge to give it a test. will let you know how it goes. Total price filter housing $40.00 + cartridge $15.00. Cheap as !!!!!
fridgeman

Postby goq11k_76 » Wednesday Nov 08, 2006 12:03 am

fridgeman wrote:Pretty much what I have in place at the moment except in a water filter. Just waiting on a 1 micron sediment filter cartridge to give it a test. will let you know how it goes. Total price filter housing $40.00 + cartridge $15.00. Cheap as !!!!!

what brand and where from mate???
goq11k_76

Postby Aussie Claret » Wednesday Nov 08, 2006 8:28 am

The filter cartridge you will need is a 1micron absolute filter. It removes most of the yeast but I believe that there is sufficient left for bottle conditioning. If you wish to remove all yeast then you would need a 0.35 absolute filter.

The 1micron absolute filter looks like a corrugated filter.

AC
Last edited by Aussie Claret on Wednesday Nov 08, 2006 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby fridgeman » Wednesday Nov 08, 2006 9:05 am

Hello again aussie. Filter is a Puretec filter housing model FP10M, takes a standard 10" filter cartridge. Hasn't got bleed button on the top but have found that if you bleed with CO2 first then no problems. Picked it all up from my local One Stop Water Shop. Also found that standard pub style quick connects screw straight into filter housing, standard 3/4 BSP threads (at last something that just works). Made up a couple of lines with male quick connects on them and bob's you uncle. Still waiting on that 1 micron filter though :x :x :x
fridgeman

Postby Aussie Claret » Wednesday Nov 08, 2006 11:31 am

I'm not so sure about that no bleed button, you really should have one to maximise the filtering efficiency. If you can't bleed any air / CO2 then the canister will take quite a while to completely fill (if it will fill at all).

Make sure that you get a pleated absolute 1 micron filter cartridge as they are alot easier to clean. It needs to be an absolute filter because the other type which looks like a non-woven type, will allow greater sized particles through it, even though they say it's a 1 micron.

AC
Aussie Claret

Postby fridgeman » Thursday Nov 09, 2006 8:59 am

Thanks for the advice aussie. :D :D
fridgeman

Postby Anzac Cookies » Thursday Nov 09, 2006 6:30 pm

goq11k_76 wrote:anyone using a filter like this one:

Would it be recommended using one of these filters for all beers, including Ginger beer (with real ginger in it) :?:
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Postby Anzac Cookies » Friday Nov 10, 2006 4:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up, i just purchased one and cant wait for it to arrive. I am a very impatient kegger so this should assist my rushed efforts :lol:
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Postby goq11k_76 » Friday Nov 10, 2006 5:55 pm

Anzac Cookies wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, i just purchased one and cant wait for it to arrive. I am a very impatient kegger so this should assist my rushed efforts :lol:

yeah tell me about rushing the keg,

tried to poor a beer last night hoping it had carbonated, only got a piddle out

bugger have to wait till sta arvo now
goq11k_76

Postby Anzac Cookies » Friday Nov 10, 2006 5:58 pm

goq11k_76 wrote:
Anzac Cookies wrote:

yeah tell me about rushing the keg,

tried to poor a beer last night hoping it had carbonated, only got a piddle out

bugger have to wait till sta arvo now

I give everything the due attention it deserves until it comes to ageing. I refrigerate the keg til chilled, then force carb for 48hrs. Then pour, but this is usually within a week from fermentation ceasing. I cant cold condition so i just drink em and most arte really nice except the Morgans Aussie Pilsner which tasted terrific by the last glass :)
Anzac Cookies

Postby goq11k_76 » Friday Nov 10, 2006 6:06 pm

I am going to try and get another keg or 2 so I can cold condition

then maybe a filter, seeing how others go with theres first
goq11k_76

Postby Anzac Cookies » Friday Nov 17, 2006 4:44 pm

Would it be safe to assume that by using a filter, racking would be a thing of the past ? :?:
Anzac Cookies

Postby ACTbrewer » Saturday Nov 18, 2006 8:39 am

Is there any difference between that filter in the link, and the bench top water filter;
http://www.freshlysqueezed.com.au/filterrange.php?r=2

I have one of these already.
ACTbrewer

Postby Ross » Saturday Nov 18, 2006 9:54 pm

Hi guys/gals,

I have tried & tested pretty well every way of filtering beer, & the resulting set-up on my site (http://www.craftbrewer.com.au) is without doubt the best filter option on the market. I keg on average 2 brews every week & they are all filtered (except wheats/wits). Spun cartridges are a total waste of time, as are ceramic. Paper/plate filters (like the Ferrari) work well, though messy, but at $5 a set for the pads to do max 1 beer, they are way too expensive. The pleated filter has a surface area of 6sq ft & is reusable for over 100 (23L) brews if treated correctly. "nominal" cartridges can be upto 3 times larger than their stated size, offering no consistancy in results. the 1 micron "absolute" cartridge gives you a bright beer, without stripping all the yeast, so you can filter straight into your primed bottles if you are not a kegger. With filtering you do not need the secondary stage - I filter straight from primary after typically 7 days & drinking fresh beer on tap 15 minutes later. Lagers are filtered & kegged typically after 14 days - lagers mind you, then take from 1 week to 3 weeks to condition (lager) in the keg to reach their prime.
I'm happy to answer any of your questions via forum, email (ross@craftbrewer.com.au) or by phone 07 32877225, 7 days a week...

cheers...

Ross
Craftbrewer
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby Anzac Cookies » Sunday Nov 19, 2006 5:14 pm

Cheers Ross, thanks for the advice, i will be doing my first filtered beer in a day or so, cant wait. Will post results :D
Anzac Cookies

Next

Return to Kegging