5 gallon pressure barrel, how to...?

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

5 gallon pressure barrel, how to...?

Postby spongmonkey » Thursday Nov 23, 2006 11:17 pm

hi chaps, i've just bought myself a pressure barrel to put a batch of Wherry Real Ale into. I have several questions as I've been using bottle up till now.

1. I've heard I can either put the beer from primary into the barrel and add sugar as normal then wait, or I can force Co2 and drink. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each solution?

2, i've been told that if I barrel with just sugar, the beer will only be good for a few days!?

3. If I use Co2 can someone give me reasonably precise instructions?

Thanks for the info in advance!
spongmonkey

Postby Aussie Claret » Friday Nov 24, 2006 8:07 am

G'day Spongmonkey,
1. Yes you can do both, I have only ever force carbonated, the pros/cons, Force carbonated can be drunk within an hour or so and doesn't need a couple of weeks to carb up like bulk primed beer. The first few beers from bulk priming will contain yeast and trub (will be cloudy).
2. Bollox, not true will last just as long either way,
3. Fill your keg with beer , connect the gas line to the keg, purge the oxygen from the keg using the pressure release valve. Chill the keg if the beer wasn't already chilled; colder beer gases easier than warm beer. When the keg is chilled, connect the gas line, turn the regulator to about 100-120KPa, lay the keg on it's side and rock back and forth until you cannot hear any more gas going into the keg, (takes about 5mins). Allow to settle for an hour or so, then she's ready captain!

The 100-120KPa is a guide only, some beers should be higher carbonated than others eg Pilsner compared to english ale (which has a low carbonation), adjust the pressure depending upon style but 150-160 KPa would be the highest you should need. Again temperature has a big influence so chill the keg down to about 2c.

Cheers
AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby Hashie » Friday Nov 24, 2006 8:16 am

Good advice from AC.

I have only ever naturally carbonated my kegs. Having 9 kegs in rotation, I have no need to force carb. I can naturally carb and leave to age. Just like I used to with bottles.

One thing to remember if you go down this path, is you need much less sugar to carb a keg. I generally only use around 75 grams of sugar per keg.
There is no such thing as bad beer. There is only good beer and better beer.
Hashie

Postby Shaun » Friday Nov 24, 2006 7:48 pm

Have a read of the sticky at the top!!!
Shaun

Postby spongmonkey » Friday Nov 24, 2006 10:20 pm

thanks for all the advice, i did read the sticky but wasn't sure I have a keg as such, it's just a barrel with a tap on it, hence the post.

How long can I expect my beer to last in the barrel if I prime with sugar and use no CO2?

what can I use to lube the rubber seal?

finally, what if I put half my beer into bottles and half into the barrel? will the beer in the barrel be affected as it will have much more space in the barrel not filled with beer? (hope that makes sense)
spongmonkey

Postby Schooner » Saturday Nov 25, 2006 8:43 pm

Your " barrel" - explain in detail of what it is, what it is made of , and what type of connections it has if any besides a tap. you have me wondering what the heck ??
Cheers Schooner
Schooner

Postby spongmonkey » Monday Nov 27, 2006 9:56 pm

the barrel is literally a 5 gallon white plastic barrel-shaped container with a simple tap and a screw on lid at the top. Nothing else, nothing fancy, they are £15 in the local shop. you can swap the lid for a gas attachment and add CO2 with that if you wish.

I've put 30 pints into the barrel and added sugar and left it, i put another 8 pints into bottles to compare.
spongmonkey

Postby Shaun » Wednesday Nov 29, 2006 6:11 pm

Sorry spongmonkey have not seen one of these.
Shaun

Postby Schooner » Wednesday Nov 29, 2006 6:54 pm

Shaun wrote:Sorry spongmonkey have not seen one of these.

Any chance of posting a pic ? And let us know how it turns out in the keg .

Without CO2 I would think it would gradually just go flat depending on how long it takes you to drink it.

A local HBS should be able to supply you the lube, A little ky will work if your in a pinch.
Cheers Schooner
Schooner

Postby spongmonkey » Wednesday Nov 29, 2006 8:13 pm

hi chaps, i'll take a pic tonight and post it up as soon as I can.
spongmonkey

Postby Aussie Claret » Thursday Nov 30, 2006 9:09 am

Spongmonkey,
I'm sorry when I first replied I thought you were talking about kegging and force / artificially carbonating.

The principal should be the same kegging or the use of the barrel; however the pressure barrel and tap that you are talking about must be strong enough to withhold the priming and pouring pressure.
Also has has been stated you will need some way of keeping the pressure within the barrel to dispense; at first you will have sufficient pressure but this will drop as you pour, so you will therefore require additional pressure to balance, otherwise you could end up with flat beer, or unable to pour. You will need to be able to hook up co2 in some way to over come this, hopefully your pressure barrel has some type of disconnect which will enable you to connect up a gas line to it.

Cheers
AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby spongmonkey » Thursday Nov 30, 2006 7:18 pm

Hi AC, thanks for the extra info, there is an attachment I can add so I can introduce CO2.

here's a link to a pic of the barrel, I linked as I wasn't sure if we allowed images directly into posts.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/andy279//barrel.jpg
spongmonkey

Postby Aussie Claret » Friday Dec 01, 2006 7:58 am

I could see the photo but could get a clear picture of the gas connection.

What ever you do, do not be tempted once pressurised to open the lid if you have problems pouring, if you do you will introduce oxygen which in a relatively short period of time will spoil the beer. Make sure you can add CO2 before you have problems down the track.
Good luck
AC
Aussie Claret

Postby Hashie » Friday Dec 01, 2006 8:25 am

My 2 cents worth, it looks like a barrel shaped fermenter. It does not look anything like a pressure vessel and in my opinion the tap will blow out under pressure.

I'd test it first by filling with water and pressurising with co2 before I tried to introduce beer.
There is no such thing as bad beer. There is only good beer and better beer.
Hashie

Postby OldBugman » Friday Dec 01, 2006 9:03 am

yeah I concur, test with water.
OldBugman

Postby Schooner » Friday Dec 01, 2006 3:23 pm

Hashie wrote:My 2 cents worth, it looks like a barrel shaped fermenter. It does not look anything like a pressure vessel and in my opinion the tap will blow out under pressure.

It looks like these barrels are sold in the UK as a kit form ( and separately ) that come with a fermenter and other items, and they are intended to be used as a keg.

Is that correct spongmonkey ? ( I have not found detailed information on this setup, just sites that sell the equipment))
Cheers Schooner
Schooner

Postby spongmonkey » Friday Dec 01, 2006 6:22 pm

Hi Schooner, yes that's right, this is sold in the UK by Youngs U Brew, it's literally called a "5 gallon pressure barrel" hence the post title. You can replace the screw top lid with a gas attachment and then introduce CO2.

At present the beer has been in there about a week and i've done 2 small test pours, they taste good and the pouring pressure is crazy! (which I assume it will be for the first few pints?)

I appreciate all the advice chaps, I'm beginning to think bottling is less involved! (I bottled some of the same batch for comparison though)
spongmonkey

Postby Schooner » Friday Dec 01, 2006 9:37 pm

Glad to hear your beer is a go and yes it will settle a bit after a few pints.

Am not sure your exact procedure for the pressure barrel, but from a UK HBS website to you ( if what you have done works than go with it):

http://www.burfordhopsandvines.co.uk/in ... tentkey=14

Also would be good to hear about the long term performance of your pressure barrel - 6 months to a year down the track.

Gotta love not having to mess with bottles hey spongmonkey !!
Cheers Schooner
Schooner

Postby spongmonkey » Saturday Dec 02, 2006 5:48 am

thanks guys, all the info has been most useful, i'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

next up, a wheat beer :D
spongmonkey

Return to Kegging