Mini-Keg

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Postby Tipsy » Friday Dec 14, 2007 8:21 pm

timmy wrote:We should have been wearing nametags.....

lol, yeah
Tipsy

Postby Tipsy » Tuesday Dec 18, 2007 8:26 pm

Swifty wrote:Hey Tipsy, great to meet you on Saturday. Was scouring for the CO2 bike pumps and found these on ebay. Thought you might want to take a look in case you don't want to drink it all in one night. http://www.google.com.au/search?sourcei ... e+pump+co2

Hi Swifty

I got one of these in the mail today so I had to have a test run of my party keg (mmm drinkin on a Tuesday)
I just filled the keg straight from my beer tap and then connected my gas line to the top to purge any oxygen, which was a complete waste of time cos I've drunk the 1 1/2lts I've put in the keg already.

I used a whole bulb of Co2 pretty quickly. I assume it was because of the small amount of beer in the keg.

A quick squirt from the second bulb made it pour too quickly, but nothing I can't live with.

The shraeder (sp) valve started leaking which could be because it froze with the Co2 filling it :?:

The beer I was drinking was a brown ale that is a little overcarbed in my normal kegs (due to the pilsner I've got on the same reg) but it was perfectly carbed in the party keg.
It will be interesting to test a pils.

A couple of things I will be doing is marking the foot of the keg that has the dip tube in it so I can tilt the keg to get the most out of it and I think I will take a bike pump with me (as you mentioned) just in case I run out of bulbs.

Have you tried yours yet?
Tipsy

Postby Swifty » Wednesday Dec 19, 2007 7:03 am

Hi Tipsy, haven't tested it yet. Filled the little bugger up last night but still haven't got a c02 thing yet. Should be cold tonight so I'll have a test. I still need to get a tyre connection thing to connect to the Shraeder for carbing it. Been a bit busy lately and have been more into the drinking of beer rather than the making of beer. Got informed last night my knee will need a reconstruction which isn't what I wanted to hear. It's making it real hard to carry around fermenters and full kegs, having to get the wife to do the labour. I knew she'd come in handy one day. I've been meaning to go to bike shops to get a c02 dispenser but from what I've seen the one on ebay is good value.
Swifty

Postby blandy » Wednesday Dec 19, 2007 8:39 am

I got my soda stream gas bottle and adaptor yesterdaym so I'm all ready :D .

I think the keg will make its debut for the basketball club xmas party :D
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Dec 19, 2007 12:30 pm

blandy wrote:I got my soda stream gas bottle and adaptor yesterdaym so I'm all ready :D .

What's the adaptor Blandy?
Tipsy

Postby blandy » Wednesday Dec 19, 2007 4:50 pm

The adaptor connects the soda stream gas bottle to a regulator. This is like the setup they had on the demonstration party keg at G&G. G&G stock them.
blandy

Postby rwh » Wednesday Dec 19, 2007 5:05 pm

Like this one then I'd imagine.
w00t!
rwh

Postby blandy » Thursday Dec 20, 2007 8:28 am

That's the one.
blandy

Re: Mini-Keg

Postby beerdrinker » Monday Jan 07, 2008 1:44 am

Has anyone had any sucess fitting a keg type charger to a 5L bitburger style mini keg? I saw a fitting called a phills something or rather for sale in the US which looked good but im not so keen on the delivery time. If you managed to get something to link the keg charger to the rubber opening on top, would you be able to carbonate with the charger only? Cheers! This bitburger is going down pretty quick,some sort of charger should come with them :wink:
Jesus was a homebrewer
beerdrinker

Postby beerdrinker » Monday Jan 07, 2008 1:52 am

Tastes far better than the bitburger in bottles!
Jesus was a homebrewer
beerdrinker

Postby beerdrinker » Monday Jan 07, 2008 2:23 am

Jesus was a homebrewer
beerdrinker

Previous

Return to Kegging