Mini-Keg

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Postby rahne » Friday Dec 07, 2007 10:13 am

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/carbonation/

this site show you how to make a 5L better for home brew
"What you put flowers in your beer" " Yep, the more flowers the better"
rahne

Postby blandy » Saturday Dec 08, 2007 6:23 pm

Went to G&G today and came home with quite a lot of stuff, including my 2 party kegs. I spent the afternoon pressure testing them for leaks with a small air-compressor we've got (until its battery ran out :D ). Got one going properly, the other still has a leak, but needs more battery power :wink: .
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday Dec 08, 2007 6:26 pm

Hey blandy, do you know if G&G plan to post instructions. Maybe someone else that was there will?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby blandy » Sunday Dec 09, 2007 11:25 am

No Idea, hopefully they will.

I'll wait a few weeks, then maybe post the instructions.
blandy

Postby Tipsy » Sunday Dec 09, 2007 5:09 pm

Kevnlis wrote:Hey blandy, do you know if G&G plan to post instructions. Maybe someone else that was there will?

I think they plan to put instructions over at AHB
Tipsy

Postby Tipsy » Sunday Dec 09, 2007 5:42 pm

blandy wrote:Went to G&G today .

Were you the guy that purchased a book with your other stuff? (just trying to put faces with names)
Tipsy

Postby Swifty » Monday Dec 10, 2007 6:47 am

Hey Tipsy, great to meet you on Saturday. Was scouring for the CO2 bike pumps and found these on ebay. Thought you might want to take a look in case you don't want to drink it all in one night. http://www.google.com.au/search?sourcei ... e+pump+co2
Swifty

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Dec 10, 2007 8:03 am

Would that overcarbonate it because of the fact that it has no regulator?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Swifty » Monday Dec 10, 2007 10:53 am

I'm not 100 percent sure, but the way it would be used would be to mainly keep a pourable pressure. You carbonate with your CO2 bottle at home with regulator and use this to give it shots whilst at a party. So when the pouring is getting slow, give it a shot or two.
Swifty

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Dec 10, 2007 11:09 am

Sure, as long as the pump allows you to control the amount of CO2 (to just bump the pressure up as you please) it should be fine. Sounded to me like it discharges the entire contents of the cartridge though.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Swifty » Monday Dec 10, 2007 11:15 am

After a second read I see what you mean. That could be a little dangerous :shock:
Swifty

Postby rwh » Monday Dec 10, 2007 11:22 am

It does discharge the whole thing. It would effectively be the same as this which is used to dispense kegs at a party. I understand it works because the bulbs contain so little CO2 that it takes 2 or 3 of them to dispense a whole 19L keg. I've got one at home actually, but I've never used it. Mine came with a ball-lock disconnect when I got it from G&G.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Dec 10, 2007 11:26 am

I would feel perfectly safe spraying the contents of a cartridge into a corny... not so sure about a party keg though... it might not blow... but would the beer pour properly?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby gregb » Monday Dec 10, 2007 11:56 am

Those things have a trigger that you squeeze to release the CO2. So you just add a squirt of CO2 as required. I've used mine successfully on one occasion, took less than two full cartridges for a 9L corny.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Tipsy » Monday Dec 10, 2007 12:23 pm

Swifty wrote:Hey Tipsy, great to meet you on Saturday. Was scouring for the CO2 bike pumps and found these on ebay. Thought you might want to take a look in case you don't want to drink it all in one night. http://www.google.com.au/search?sourcei ... e+pump+co2

Hi Swifty,
I reckon for the price it could be worth a go. I am not too worried about blowing up my keg because the relief valve seems to work fine.

I might use a fair bit of beer line so I can put up with higher pouring pressure.

I can see a lot of testing over Christmas :wink:
Tipsy

Postby Swifty » Monday Dec 10, 2007 3:13 pm

At that price I might give it a go, as long as you can give it bursts as you want it should be fine. There will definately be plenty of testing over christmas. The wife is working over christmas, only has christmas day off. So I'll have nothing better to do that "test" the party keg, and all the other kegs while I'm there. :lol:
Swifty

Postby lethaldog » Monday Dec 10, 2007 4:04 pm

gregb wrote:Those things have a trigger that you squeeze to release the CO2. So you just add a squirt of CO2 as required. I've used mine successfully on one occasion, took less than two full cartridges for a 9L corny.

Cheers,
Greg

Yep thats it, ive got one and it works a treat, like greg said just squeeze and add as you need, it is a pricey way of dispensing a keg but so easy and portable :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby timmy » Monday Dec 10, 2007 8:27 pm

Swifty wrote:Hey Tipsy, great to meet you on Saturday. Was scouring for the CO2 bike pumps and found these on ebay. Thought you might want to take a look in case you don't want to drink it all in one night. http://www.google.com.au/search?sourcei ... e+pump+co2

They have these things in G&G and I was considering getting one. I didn't realise that they were available elsewhere but it makes good sense for a compact bike pump.

The guy doing the workshop (can't remember his name) said they are fine for dispensing but you wouldn't want to carb with them because you'd plow through too many bulbs. And the lack of a regulator shouldn't be a problem with these kegs because they come with a release valve that vents at 24PSI (or thereabouts).
So I'm going to use my sodastream cylinder to carb and dispense at home and the handheld jigger for parties/camping etc.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby blandy » Tuesday Dec 11, 2007 6:49 am

Tipsy wrote:
blandy wrote:Went to G&G today .

Were you the guy that purchased a book with your other stuff? (just trying to put faces with names)

Hi Tipsy.

I bought a book. At the time I was a wearing a blue "piping hot" shirt and glasses (plus a bit more obviously)

I think I spent about 2-3 hours there on Saturday, so I wouldn't be surprised if you saw me
blandy

Postby timmy » Tuesday Dec 11, 2007 10:37 am

We should have been wearing nametags.....
timmy

PreviousNext

Return to Kegging