Carbonation levels

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Carbonation levels

Postby Anzac Cookies » Friday Dec 01, 2006 8:49 pm

I am running a keg setup as per my pics in Kegerating on a budget. I am finding that when i carb up both kegs (1x 3gal. and 1 x 5 gal.) at the same time (Force carb at 220kpa for around 18-24hours) that the carbonation levels between the two vary significantly. I was having problems pouring from the 3 gal. keg because it was just too foamy. I was wondering what pressure and what amount of time others use for their 3 gallon kegs ?
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Postby OldBugman » Saturday Dec 02, 2006 7:23 am

I've given up trying to force carb both kegs at once.(I also run one 3 and one 5 gallon) Now I just have my reg set for 80kpa and it stays there. When a new keg goes it it's right for drinking in a week.

This works for me as I try not to drink during the week.
OldBugman

Postby Shaun » Saturday Dec 02, 2006 1:16 pm

The 3 gal keg will always finish with more carbonation than the 5 gal as it is a smaller volume. If you have the budget have a look at a manifold or dual reg so you can run them at different pressures. Otherwise carbonate one at a time. Or use the instructions in the sticky to rapidly carbonate them one at a time once cold then you will have more control over each kegs carbonation.

http://craftbrewer.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=517&category_id=18&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=29
Shaun

Postby OldBugman » Saturday Dec 02, 2006 1:57 pm

ofcourse if your force carbonating at 200 odd KPA it would just require less time to carbonate the 3gallon keg.

I'd suggest trying 3/5th of the time it takes to do the 5 gallon keg, - yes there are more variables such as surface area to volume etc, but just a sheer volume relationship should get you somewhat closer to the time frame it should take.

So if it normally takes 2 days (48hrs) I'd suggest trying 29hrs of high pressure, once carbonated disconnect the ball lock and leave the larger keg going.
OldBugman

Postby Anzac Cookies » Saturday Dec 02, 2006 11:05 pm

Thanks for the replies, it must have sounded like a stupid question, but i will try the lower pressure and one keg sat a time and see how it goes,

Cheers,

Cookies
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Return to Kegging