Beer in Regulator

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Beer in Regulator

Postby Ivesy » Monday Dec 18, 2006 6:22 pm

Hi all,

I was reading through the posts for tips on kegging and found a topic on beer going to the regulator. This has happened i think twice now. I am only new to kegging and havn't really done a successful brew. Is this why? Is my gas line contaminated? It dosn't seem to have an effect on my beer i purchased from the Beer Factory. Every brew i have done has an off taste. What should i do? I thought it might have been the cleaning process, but maybe its the reg. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers!
Ivesy

Postby Ross » Monday Dec 18, 2006 9:53 pm

If you have beer in your regulator, you'll end up most likely infecting every brew. You need to take your regulator apart & give it a thorough clean. If you are lucky you won't have wrecked it, otherwise you'll have to replace everything inside it. All regulators should be fitted with a check valve to stop this happening - very cheap insurance. http://craftbrewer.com.au/index.php?pag ... &Itemid=29

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby fragglerocks » Tuesday Dec 19, 2006 10:13 am

Have you connected the gas to the right valve on the keg? You may have been pushing gas through the beer line instead of the designated gas line?

Just a thought!

cheers.
fragglerocks

Postby Ivesy » Tuesday Dec 19, 2006 4:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. I might have connected the lines wrong but not too sure. Will give cleaning the reg. a go or take it back to brewshop and see what he thinks. At least now i know thats whats stuffing my beers. (i hope)
Should i change my lines as well?
Cheeers
Ivesy

Postby Schooner » Tuesday Dec 19, 2006 5:13 pm

Ross wrote: You need to take your regulator apart & give it a thorough clean

Highly disagree ,
In 26 years of being a boilermaker and using every type of welding and cutting gas there is - my training and experience suggests not to attempt this procedure. He is not sure if he even has the gas lines setup properly.

Ivesy - take it back to your HBS, and yes change your lines.
Cheers Schooner
Schooner

Postby Ivesy » Tuesday Dec 19, 2006 6:26 pm

Thanks Schooner, sounds like i should take it in. Your right i probably stuffed up the lines when i first got my kegs and ruined it that way. Hopefully never make that mistake again.

Cheers for the tips!!
Ivesy

Postby Schooner » Wednesday Dec 20, 2006 12:08 am

Ivesy wrote:Thanks Schooner, sounds like i should take it in. Your right i probably stuffed up the lines when i first got my kegs and ruined it that way. Hopefully never make that mistake again.

Cheers for the tips!!

Will highly agree with getting check valves installed, but have them do it for you.
Cheers Schooner
Schooner

Return to Kegging