My new kegging system (sort of)

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

My new kegging system (sort of)

Postby rwh » Monday Dec 25, 2006 3:07 pm

Hi all,

Well, as part of the christmas splurging on homebrew equipment, I managed to get a brand new 12L stainless keg and CO2 regulator. Now I guess I need to get:

1 gas bottle
1 pluto gun
various hoses and interconnects
check valves

And then I'll have a sweet setup. Of course, it's likely to cost me more than the bits I got for christmas, but hey, I have no choice now!

The keg is interesting. From Aust. Winemakers in North Melbourne. Pic:

Was pretty expensive for what it is I think. A lot more than a reconditioned Corny, anyway. Hope it's got the same interconnects.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Schooner » Monday Dec 25, 2006 6:48 pm

OH the glare :shock: 8) very, very nice rwh.

yup same connections as my corny kegs
Cheers Schooner
Schooner

Postby gregb » Tuesday Dec 26, 2006 6:26 am

I got two of the 23L ones because Corny's are an inch too tall for my fridge. Ball lock disconects are the same.

One thing I found was that I have to use slightly lower pressures than most quote for corny's. I think this is because corny's are smaller in diameter.

Try Craftbrewer for the pluto gun and other parts. Ross is extremely helpful.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby yardglass » Tuesday Dec 26, 2006 6:37 am

I can vouch for Craftbrewer's Service, usually next day delivery and always helpful advice.

No affiliation, just good service is hard to find these days.

Cheers
excuse me... your karma just ran over my dogma.

GOOD BREWS
yardglass

Postby rwh » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 11:51 am

Thanks for the suggestion guys, but I decided to go to Grain and Grape cause they're only 15 mins down the road and they can supply gas as well (although their stocks are low atm and they couldn't give me a bottle right away).

I popped down this morning and got the rest of the stuff I needed. They had pluto guns there for an extra $5 that had a screw thread on the end that can be used with an aeration fitting for use with nitrogen. Otherwise it's the same as a standard pluto gun. Not sure if I'm a big enough stout drinker to spring for the extra nitrogen bottle etc., but it's nice to have the option.

So, for the curious:

Guinness beer gun: $135
Gas disconnect: $16.95
Liquid disconnect: $16.95
Nut and tail for disconnects x2: $11.00
Beer hose, 4mm, 2.4m: $4.68
Gas hose, 5mm, 2m: $3.90
1 19L corny keg: $80

Not super cheap, but it's nice to be able to get advice and take it back if I have any problems. G&G have great service, and they gave me loads of advice, checked out the stuff I'd got for xmas etc. One thing that mail-order can't provide (no slur intended, Ross ;)).

G&G do an interesting thing with their gas cylinders. Was talking to the guy and apparently they try to source second-hand cylinders or something and do their own gas. This brings the yearly cost down significantly to like $17 instead of $120. I guess that's why they're so popular, and why they're having supply issues.

Anyone got any advice on whether I should get a 9kg gas cylinder or a 4kg one?
w00t!
rwh

Postby lethaldog » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 3:58 pm

Ive heard that they last forever rwh, well not for ever but a long time, you would probably only need the 4 but im pretty sure it doesnt go bad so the 9 would also be handy, and im guessing i have not really helped to much :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Anzac Cookies » Friday Dec 29, 2006 10:18 am

gregb wrote:I got two of the 23L ones because Corny's are an inch too tall for my fridge.

Try to track down the Corny kegs that dont have the cumbersome plastic handles, like i use in my set up found here:- http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... php?t=3207

As these fit into most standard bar fridges :D
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Postby rwh » Sunday Jan 21, 2007 8:55 am

Well, I picked up my new keg fridge yesterday. It's a Fisher and Paykel P120, $182.50 off eBay. Had to unscrew the little temperature control box thing which is normally up the top, so that the corny would fit. The big keg behind is my 12L stainless steel. The freezer even perfectly fits my glasses, standing upright!

Now I need to get a splitter for my gas line so that I don't have to switch it between the kegs. And then think about taps or something, but I think I'll see how I go with my pluto gun first.

Image Image
w00t!
rwh

Postby Anzac Cookies » Sunday Jan 21, 2007 8:58 am

rwh wrote:Well, I picked up my new keg fridge yesterday. It's a Fisher and Paykel P120, $182.50 off eBay. Had to unscrew the little temperature control box thing which is normally up the top, so that the corny would fit. The big keg behind is my 12L stainless steel. The freezer even perfectly fits my glasses, standing upright!

Now I need to get a splitter for my gas line so that I don't have to switch it between the kegs. And then think about taps or something, but I think I'll see how I go with my pluto gun first.

Image Image

Nice mate, you can get 2 tap fonts for around $250 like what i have and they work a treat :D
A woman walks into a bar and orders a double entendre, so the bartender gave her one !
Anzac Cookies

Postby gregb » Sunday Jan 21, 2007 4:37 pm

Nice set up there.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby rwh » Friday Feb 09, 2007 3:14 pm

Well, I drilled my hole (in the left hand wall, in the top rear corner). Went well, except that I initially used an 8mm drill bit for 8mm hose, and didn't sand the outer (metal) hole. This meant that when I pushed the gas hose through, the outside of it got all burred by the rough metal, and this prevented a good seal when pushed into my quick-release check valve. So I was losing pressure.

I've now drilled the outer hole wider: 8.5mm, and sanded it back nice and smooth. Am hoping I get a decent seal now. One thing I've noticed is I get a bit of vibration from the check valve once the flow of CO2 slows. Is this normal?
w00t!
rwh

Postby Shaun » Friday Feb 09, 2007 3:23 pm

rwh

to stop damage to the gas line find a piece of tubing that the gas line will fit through nicely then drill the hole out to just smaller than that tube insert it in the hole and run your gas line in through this. No more sharp edges or insulation in the end of your gas line.
Shaun

Postby rwh » Friday Feb 09, 2007 3:26 pm

Yep I was thinking of doing that; I have some 10mm PVC hose that will do nicely. Only trouble is I'm not sure my 10mm drill bit will fit into my drill. :lol:
w00t!
rwh

Postby Ross » Friday Feb 09, 2007 6:02 pm

rwh wrote:
I've now drilled the outer hole wider: 8.5mm, and sanded it back nice and smooth. Am hoping I get a decent seal now. One thing I've noticed is I get a bit of vibration from the check valve once the flow of CO2 slows. Is this normal?

vibration is perfectly normal as the gas flows through it. Use an airlock grommet to protect your lie from the fridge metal - they fit perfectly.

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Return to Kegging