Gassing with soda stream bottles

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Gassing with soda stream bottles

Postby bigbanko » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 5:31 pm

Hi All

Just thought I would pose the question before I jumped both feet into kegging.

Can you carbonate kegs off soda stream bottles using an adaptor I have seen on ebay and if so how many kegs could be gassed before the bottle runs out.

I am assuming some people here would be using soda stream bottles for poring at parties etc.

The reason I ask is soda stream bottles require no rental are cheap and easy to obtain and take next to no room and could be easily placed inside the fridge with the keg.

Any thoughts or experience on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
bigbanko

Postby Ash » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 6:58 pm

one of the HBS up here sells the adaptors & their website reckons you can gas & pour 2-5 brews, depending on carbonation level I suppose?

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with this will chime in.
Ash

Postby Ross » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 8:20 pm

Bigbanko,

Carbonating with Sodastream is far too expensive, but once carbonated, you can dispense up to 5 kegs - so they are great for party kegs.

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby Ash » Thursday Dec 28, 2006 10:31 pm

Hi Ross,

with the price of rental from BOC, do you think soda stream bottles & natural carbonation would be a viable alternative for a light drinker?

Defining light drinker as less than a keg per month (ie: me, more like 8 kegs per year as an estimate)
Ash

Postby Ross » Friday Dec 29, 2006 7:32 am

Ash wrote:Hi Ross,

with the price of rental from BOC, do you think soda stream bottles & natural carbonation would be a viable alternative for a light drinker?

Defining light drinker as less than a keg per month (ie: me, more like 8 kegs per year as an estimate)

Absolutely :) The only down side of conditioning in the keg is the level of yeast in the bottom of the keg. you need to either shorten/bendup the end of the diptube or put up with a few yeasty pints. I'm setting up a similar system to have "real ale' on tap. i'll be tapping a keg at the bottom & feeding under gravity to my bar. I'll be using an aspirator to add CO2 to the keg at atmopheric pressure, to prolong the beer life without carbonating it.

Cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Return to Kegging