Cleaning old taps?

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Cleaning old taps?

Postby Growler & 1/2 Pint » Tuesday Jan 02, 2007 11:10 pm

Happy New Beers!

I was hoping for some advice in regards to cleaning taps. I recently stumbled accross a beautiful old 50 era style kegerator (working!) with a fantastic old tap. I'm going to replace the lines and change the sankey fitting to corny, but I want to keep the tap and I was wondering what the best method for cleaning it would be?

It isn't a relic, apparantly it did many years of service in Ohio State and Texas Tech Frat dorms. Being an Aussie my only real knowlege of Fraternity culture comes from Animal House and the Revenge of the Nerds movies and based on these information sources I'm guessing that the tap hasn't been cleaned in a long while.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks
"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."
-Lady Astor to Winston Churchill
"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."
-His reply
Growler & 1/2 Pint

Postby Shaun » Wednesday Jan 03, 2007 11:36 am

Best bet would be to try and source a refurb kit for it, strip it down and give all parts a good clean/replace, then put it back together. Pulling it apart with out parts may be a risk as if you have damaged o rings/seals etc you may not get it back together however this is the best way to clean taps.

If you do not want to pull it apart put some strong cleaner/sanitiser in a keg and run it through the tap then flush with water.
Shaun

Return to Kegging