Gassing Beer

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Gassing Beer

Postby Kingone » Tuesday Jan 09, 2007 9:48 pm

G'day fellas

I've been brewing for a few years... just the usual into bottles thing..

Ive just made my first batch of keg beer... I let it ferment then chilled in the fridge for 3 days then transferred to the keg...

I let it gas for about 48 hours at 40 psi and turned it down to about 7 for pouring... It pours good looks perfectly carbonated has head i would consider perfect but it tastes quite flat...

Any ideas??
Kingone

Postby Kingone » Friday Jan 12, 2007 3:21 pm

anyone.....???
Kingone

Postby Shaun » Friday Jan 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Is there any visable bubble in the beer?

If it tastes flat I would suspect it needs some more gas. Give it another 12 - 24 hours at gassing pressure.

Also have a read of the sticky on gassing kegs for help.
Shaun

Postby rwh » Friday Jan 12, 2007 4:18 pm

It's either undercarbonated, or your serving pressure is too high.

If your serving pressure is too high, the beer will pour out of your tap too fast, effectively shaking it up and making your head too big and beer flat. Try lowering the serving pressure a bit.

If it's still coming out flat, it's probably undercarbonated. Jack the pressure up, connect the gas to the OUT line, then shake the keg until the gas stops flowing. The pressure depends on the temp of the keg and your desired carb level. See the thread on keg carbonation for these.

Then, disconnect the gas, turn down to serving pressure (say around 75kpa), bleed off a bit of pressure through the relief valve, then reattach the gas to the IN side, the tap to the OUT side, and pour.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Kingone » Saturday Jan 13, 2007 3:07 pm

orite cheers ill give it a go
Kingone

Postby luke » Saturday Jan 13, 2007 9:25 pm

rwh wrote:It's either undercarbonated, or your serving pressure is too high.

If your serving pressure is too high, the beer will pour out of your tap too fast, effectively shaking it up and making your head too big and beer flat. Try lowering the serving pressure a bit.

If it's still coming out flat, it's probably undercarbonated. Jack the pressure up, connect the gas to the OUT line, then shake the keg until the gas stops flowing. The pressure depends on the temp of the keg and your desired carb level. See the thread on keg carbonation for these.

Then, disconnect the gas, turn down to serving pressure (say around 75kpa), bleed off a bit of pressure through the relief valve, then reattach the gas to the IN side, the tap to the OUT side, and pour.

That should do it :D
luke

Postby danthebeerman » Sunday Jan 14, 2007 7:13 am

for quick carbonation i carbonate the keg at 240kpa for 24 hours then serving at 40kpa. slow carbonation i let the keg at 40 kpa (my serving pressure) and let it carbonate for 7 to 10 days.
THINKING IS THE HARDEST WORK THERE IS. THAT IS WHY SO FEW PEOPLE ENGAGE IN IT!
danthebeerman

Return to Kegging