First keg fill!!

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

First keg fill!!

Postby lethaldog » Saturday Jan 13, 2007 9:04 am

Going to the grain and grape today to pick up my co2 bottle ( would have had it before now but they have had trouble getting them lately) and then im coming home to setup my keg system, any pointers for a new kegger??
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby OldBugman » Saturday Jan 13, 2007 9:23 am

sometimes if your lid leaks try putting it back on the other way round.

Also you'll need to make an effort to not drink too much.
OldBugman

Postby Hashie » Saturday Jan 13, 2007 9:35 am

You wont look back, once you start.

I can't imagine going back to bottles :evil:

Just be certain you have no leaks (gas or liquid), nothing worse than flat beer.

Are you going to force carbonate or naturally condition?
There is no such thing as bad beer. There is only good beer and better beer.
Hashie

Postby lethaldog » Saturday Jan 13, 2007 6:50 pm

Force carbonate, its in the process now, ill try 1 tommorrow night and let you all know :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby luke » Saturday Jan 13, 2007 9:39 pm

Place brew in Keg and burp the air out, leave over night until chilled, then turn co2 pressure up to 250-280 kpa then turn off co2 at bottle and roll or shake until pressure drops around 100 (if beer is really cold it may drop to 50 kpa tho you may have to shake harder) repeat above for 2-3 times ,I leave the IN and OUT lines attached when I force carbonate.Then enjoy.. well that's what I do ? :P
luke

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Jan 14, 2007 2:01 pm

Sitting here enjoying my first AG pilsner poured straight out of the keg and its bloody magnificent, had gas set at about 48psi since 6 last night and its carbed up perfect, pouring at about 8psi :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby KEG » Sunday Jan 14, 2007 3:13 pm

very nice :)

have any of you ever had a "BYO home brew and compare notes" sort of day? i reckon that'd be great fun..
KEG

Postby Schooner » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 7:37 pm

Hashie wrote:You wont look back, once you start.

Just be certain you have no leaks (gas or liquid), nothing worse than flat beer.

gotten rid of those bottles yet Leigh or just going to let them collect dust for awhile ? :lol: :lol:
Cheers Schooner
Schooner

Postby beernut » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 10:29 pm

The bottles are worth good money.Make them pay :D
I get dizzy reading the advice for kegging on different forums.
After kegging with corny's for 3 yrs I can offer this advice.(for forced carbonation)
Set Your co2 reg to 80-90 KPA (psi ?) Do not ever touch again !
After racking to yr keg- purge & leave on said pressure.
In 5 - 8 days this beer will be about perfect. at about 4c)
If you cant wait this long then u need to brew more beer.
Cheers Glenn.
Just here for the Beer
beernut

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Jan 16, 2007 11:02 pm

Schooner wrote:
Hashie wrote:You wont look back, once you start.

gotten rid of those bottles yet Leigh or just going to let them collect dust for awhile ? :lol: :lol:

Nah i havent, will still use em for leftovers and certain beers that i dont want in kegs like stouts cos i dont drink them enough to bother kegging them, saying that most of them are still full so ill have to get busy :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Hashie » Wednesday Jan 17, 2007 8:25 am

lethaldog wrote:Nah i havent, will still use em for leftovers and certain beers that i dont want in kegs like stouts cos i dont drink them enough to bother kegging them, saying that most of them are still full so ill have to get busy :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

I know what you mean, I still have about 90 bottles full that are now well over 18 months old.

I really must put some in the fridge and drink them, but it's just soooo easy to fill a schooner from the tap.
Hashie

Postby gregb » Wednesday Jan 17, 2007 9:12 am

You need to organise a party to empty said bottles. That'll resolve the situation. :D

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Hashie » Wednesday Jan 17, 2007 11:26 am

I'll at least knock off 1 bottle tonight.

I went out to the shed and saw a few bottles of Bavarian Lager, so put 1 in the fridge to do a side by side with the Bavarian I'm drinking from a keg ATM.
Hashie

Postby Ivesy » Wednesday Jan 17, 2007 4:03 pm

My biggest mistake was to overfill my keg to the gas pipe and when i turned on the gas, the beer went up the gasline and into the reg. Stuffed my reg so i wasted a good $95. I wont do that again in a hurry.
Ivesy

Postby lethaldog » Wednesday Jan 17, 2007 5:16 pm

gregb wrote:You need to organise a party to empty said bottles. That'll resolve the situation. :D

Cheers,
Greg

Let me know when your in melbourne then and weel party up :lol: :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby lethaldog » Wednesday Jan 17, 2007 5:17 pm

Hashie wrote:
lethaldog wrote:Nah i havent, will still use em for leftovers and certain beers that i dont want in kegs like stouts cos i dont drink them enough to bother kegging them, saying that most of them are still full so ill have to get busy :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

I know what you mean, I still have about 90 bottles full that are now well over 18 months old.

I really must put some in the fridge and drink them, but it's just soooo easy to fill a schooner from the tap.

Im finding this out now, i still have about 20 bottles in the fridge that even last night went out to crack 1, saw the tap on the fridge and the rest was history, needless to say the bottle didnt come out of the fridge :lol: :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Jan 17, 2007 8:43 pm

You can use your bottles for Yukon smoked brown ale :wink:
Tipsy

Postby lethaldog » Wednesday Jan 17, 2007 8:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Not likely but thanks for the suggestion, i have a yukon thats been in the bottle for 3-4 months, recently i tried 1 and then put the boxes in the most far away location in the shed i can find, i doubt if they will ever get drunk but maybe ill pull another 1 out in 6 months just to remind me why i should never brew this again :lol: :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Wednesday Jan 17, 2007 9:04 pm

KEG wrote:very nice :)

have any of you ever had a "BYO home brew and compare notes" sort of day? i reckon that'd be great fun..

That's what I was thinking previously, but haven't got around to doing anything more about it than just that.

I reckon getting together when the temperature is more civilised and drinking - er, sampling - beer would be a good thing.
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Wednesday Jan 17, 2007 9:10 pm

lethaldog,

The best suggestion I have to address your initial query is that you should *never* try such things alone. It's not fair on you and it is not fair on the people around you... :D

More seriously, I figure that I can get a more varied collection of brews available to me in bottles than I can afford with kegs. Right now, I have eight brews to choose from which would be somewhat expensive to match via kegs.
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Next

Return to Kegging