Highest FG you've kegged at?

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Highest FG you've kegged at?

Postby Growler & 1/2 Pint » Friday Feb 02, 2007 11:19 am

Ever had a fermentation with a FG that sits higher than it should but won't budge and you keg it anyway?

My Heff won't budge from 1.020 after 12 days (should be 1.013) and I'm at the stage of throwing caution to the wind and throwing it in a keg. It tastes good in the hydrometer tube.

Anyone else been in this situation and givin it a go?

cheers!
"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."
-Lady Astor to Winston Churchill
"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."
-His reply
Growler & 1/2 Pint

Postby Ross » Friday Feb 02, 2007 11:32 am

Yes mate, more than once.

Taste is your test - If she tastes good keg her :)

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby rwh » Friday Feb 02, 2007 11:44 am

At least you have no risk of bottle bombs! :lol:
w00t!
rwh

Postby Growler & 1/2 Pint » Friday Feb 02, 2007 11:53 am

Cheers Fella's

Musta been lucky up till now with FG's, now kegging as I write (I'm ambidextrous) :wink:
-His reply
Growler & 1/2 Pint

Postby OldBugman » Friday Feb 02, 2007 4:15 pm

Aslong as the clarity is right I generally keg.
OldBugman

Postby mr magoo » Friday Mar 02, 2007 3:16 pm

hi there!
i am also about to put my brew into my keg for the first time, but the FG reading is still sitting on 1020 after 6 days, the airlock is still bubbling every 30s to 1 minute, but i know not to judge by this.
the brew is a hoegaarden style using a wheatmalt so i know reading should be a bit higher, it smells and tastes great, a little clowdy though,and lots of bubles, i am getting the same reading after 24 hours the temp of my fermenter is 24.
is it dangerous to keg it or not? :oops:
mr magoo

Postby mr magoo » Friday Mar 02, 2007 5:11 pm

anyone? :roll:
mmmmmmmmm beer................
mr magoo

Postby Boonie » Friday Mar 02, 2007 6:01 pm

mr magoo wrote:anyone? :roll:

Mr Magoo, I would say yeah, but I do not keg :lol: .

Just kidding, the boys will reply, just give them more than a couple of hours. :wink: . It is Friday night remember......sitting here downing a few with the neighbour, showing my post on 50 litres kegs......thanks guys for all the help. TL

I am getting into kegging now like yourself:wink:

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Growler & 1/2 Pint » Friday Mar 02, 2007 6:22 pm

I'd hang on a bit longer if I were you. I kegged a hefferweizen @ 1020 and it was fine, tasted like a heff, not too sweet and improved with age in the keg. Having said that it sat on 1020 for a week after me trying to get primary fermentation going again with fresh yeast to no avail. IMHO If its still bubbling, its still going good (having said that my fermenter has a leak, ie: no bubbles). My 1020 heff was a true stuck fermentation, no activity + no way to re-activate the ferment. Still at the end of the day it was good
-His reply
Growler & 1/2 Pint

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Mar 02, 2007 6:51 pm

mr magoo wrote:hi there!
i am also about to put my brew into my keg for the first time, but the FG reading is still sitting on 1020 after 6 days, the airlock is still bubbling every 30s to 1 minute, but i know not to judge by this.
the brew is a hoegaarden style using a wheatmalt so i know reading should be a bit higher, it smells and tastes great, a little clowdy though,and lots of bubles, i am getting the same reading after 24 hours the temp of my fermenter is 24.
is it dangerous to keg it or not? :oops:

Has it been at 1020 for more than 24 hours? If you are using a highly flocculant yeast you might get more fermentation if you roused the beer with a sanitised stirrer - gently stir to resuspend the yeast. If it's staying at 1020 for more than 2 days then it's probably ready to keg - the bubbles are most likely the CO2 in the beer coming out of the beer rather than active yeast generating more CO2. If the yeast was active then in theory the gravity should be falling as the yeast attenuates the sugar content of the beer.

Cheers,
TL
Trough Lolly

Postby mr magoo » Friday Mar 02, 2007 7:09 pm

ok thanks all, i used SAFALE K-97 yeast, but to the last post, i wouldn't like to open the fermenter to give it stir as i don't want to contaminate my brew. i might give it another day and another fg test :cry: oh and it has been @ 1020 for more than 24 hours.
mr magoo

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Mar 02, 2007 7:27 pm

mr magoo wrote:ok thanks all, i used SAFALE K-97 yeast, but to the last post, i wouldn't like to open the fermenter to give it stir as i don't want to contaminate my brew. i might give it another day and another fg test :cry: oh and it has been @ 1020 for more than 24 hours.

MM,
Millions of litres of beer have been brewed successfully with open fermentation practices where the brewer had no lid at all! Don't forget, your beer has a good dose of alcohol in it and it would take a pretty hardy bacteria to overpower your fermented wort at this juncture. A sanitised spoon will not be a problem and rousing stuck ferments is common practice - fear not, you'd be most unlucky to lose a batch to infection at this stage. :wink:
Cheers,
TL
Trough Lolly

Postby Boonie » Friday Mar 02, 2007 7:38 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:
mr magoo wrote:ok thanks all, i used SAFALE K-97 yeast, but to the last post, i wouldn't like to open the fermenter to give it stir as i don't want to contaminate my brew. i might give it another day and another fg test :cry: oh and it has been @ 1020 for more than 24 hours.

MM,
Millions of litres of beer have been brewed successfully with open fermentation practices where the brewer had no lid at all! Don't forget, your beer has a good dose of alcohol in it and it would take a pretty hardy bacteria to overpower your fermented wort at this juncture. A sanitised spoon will not be a problem and rousing stuck ferments is common practice - fear not, you'd be most unlucky to lose a batch to infection at this stage. :wink:
Cheers,
TL

Spot on again TL.

Only a "Dead Yeast" has killed one of my brews.......and that was due to temperature (My Stupidity)
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Mar 02, 2007 7:42 pm

Unlucky Boonie - yeast autolysis is nasty. Turns good beer into undrinkable muck, er, unless you like drinking beer that smells like rancid meat and vegemite all in one! :shock:

And as a sidebar note, yeast autolysis is not, of course, an infection.

Cheers,
TL
Trough Lolly

Postby mr magoo » Saturday Mar 03, 2007 11:00 am

i got up early this morning (9:30), and spent some quallity time with my precious, it seems she has stopped bubbling, except for a randem gurgle it lookes like she has stopped fermenting. I did a FG reading and is now @ 1016, should i give it another day and test her again? Or, CAN I PUT HER INTO THE BLOODY KEG NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE JUST SAY GO FOR IT!!
mr magoo

Postby KEG » Saturday Mar 03, 2007 11:27 am

sorry, give it another two days and test it again :)
KEG

Postby mr magoo » Saturday Mar 03, 2007 11:32 am

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :cry:
mr magoo

Postby lethaldog » Saturday Mar 03, 2007 11:52 am

mr magoo wrote:NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :cry:

If its dropped from 1.020 to 1.016 in one day then i would deffinately say to leave it for a few more days, it can only make it better :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby mr magoo » Saturday Mar 03, 2007 12:19 pm

ok iv'e decided to be patient and leave it, thought i might go down to my LHBS and buy another fermenter to rack it into then add some finnings and chuck it in the fridge for a couple of days will this be worth it? What do you guys think? oh do you just use another fermenter to rack into and use the airlock?
mr magoo

Postby mr magoo » Saturday Mar 03, 2007 12:29 pm

just had a look fermenter wont fit in the bar fridge, i do have a redbull fridge i could prob fit it in there? can i use one of my kegs for the COLD CONDITIONING? the only thing is it hasn't got the tap at the bottom like the fermenter has so when the time comes to keg how would i transfer from one keg to the other leaving the sedament behind?
mr magoo

Next

Return to Kegging