50 Litre kegs...How can I??

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Postby heathen » Wednesday Feb 28, 2007 6:44 pm

sorry, i am new to the net, still havent figured out the nuances yet i will adjust my profile
heathen

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Feb 28, 2007 6:49 pm

It's not a problem mate, but it avoids hassles if a keen buyer is on the other side of the country!

Cheers,
TL
Trough Lolly

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Mar 01, 2007 9:26 am

Aussie Claret wrote:Guys, I'll post a few pics tonight when I get home from work, it is a two tap font andale T shape and has two flo right ( I think) taps both swing top taps.
Just regarding the price just make an offer if you're interested (you can PM me). Look at the photo's first.
AC

Got those piccies AC?

email me at drsmurto at hotmail dot com with the pics if its easier and if boonie hasnt already agreed to buy! 8)
drsmurto

Postby Aussie Claret » Thursday Mar 01, 2007 12:19 pm

Sorry guys, have had a problem with the camera, hopefully will have time to put them on the site tonight. Will do my best.
AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby Boonie » Monday Mar 12, 2007 11:32 am

Aussie Claret wrote:Sorry guys, have had a problem with the camera, hopefully will have time to put them on the site tonight. Will do my best.
AC

AC, is that camera fixed yet?

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Aussie Claret » Monday Mar 12, 2007 12:33 pm

Hi Boonie,
Was just about to contact you, yes camera was fixed and I emailed you photos. you obviously didn'trecieve them, please pm me and I'll send again tonight.

Let me know either way if you are interested as there is another who is interested.
Cheers
AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby brew monkey » Sunday May 06, 2007 11:02 am

so nobody has modified a 50L keg to just connect up to the normal post mix style posts. im just abount to do a cub keg. i have a 18L coke keg all stainless top and one freshly aquired cub 50L. looking at cutting the whole top bowl of the 18L the cutting and trimming the 50L to suit and welding it back up.that gives ease of connection and ease of inspection/clean/fill will take some photos of the before and after.
brew monkey

Postby rwh » Sunday May 06, 2007 11:19 am

Wow, impressive. Must be nice to be skilled at TIG. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. :)
w00t!
rwh

Postby brew monkey » Sunday May 06, 2007 5:37 pm

yeah been working with metal for 8 years and am now 25 so abit of my life, been working with steel and stainless until just recently, got a job doing balustrade's and fences all aluminium and all tig work, been a while since i have done stainless tig but im sure it wont be a problem, i have cut the top off and made the hole in the 50L keg just need to take it to work and weld it up tomorrow, i have taken photo's of the steps, so anyone can do it if they have access to somebody that can weld well
brew monkey

Postby Brewaholic » Monday May 07, 2007 9:51 am

I dont really understand why you would go to the trouble when all you need is a keg coupler i have never found standard kegs hard to clean out unless you let them go mouldy for a few months one keg coupler - $80
one wasted post mix keg $70 plus 3 hours labour $90 and then if you want to buy a commercial keg for a party or something you still cant hook it up. You could still screw a post mix fitting to the coupler so your beer line stayed the same aswell :wink:
Brewaholic

Postby OldBugman » Monday May 07, 2007 10:46 am

OldBugman

Postby brew monkey » Monday May 07, 2007 8:02 pm

didnt get a chance to weld it up at work today so no photo's but should be done tomorrow. the reasons why i did this
1 x 50L pub keg. -free
1 x 18L coke post mix + 1 x 19L corny - $40
a worn 9" disk and 1 4" cutting disk - less than $1
my time - free
welding -free
take 19L corny for $40 and 1 free 18L
total cost less than $1 for 51L homebrew keg
apart from the fact that i have 3x 19L cornys and 4x 25L old stainless postmix kegs it was damn cheap cheaper than buying a coupler, and cheaper than buying posts and snaplocks to couple 2x 25L kegs, plus a little pride in the things you do and own/have. i was going to use the 18L for flushing of my line and tap but thought this was better, cause i can get the fittings for posts, weld a bit of sheet to the top of the 18L and i still have a flushing keg.
pretty damn cost afective in my eyes.
brew monkey

Postby OldBugman » Tuesday May 08, 2007 1:30 pm

besides purging the inside of the vessel(keg) with argon how do you plan on treating the internal surface of the weld.

I ask because I cut down some 18L kegs and am getting a slight metal taste coming through in the brews. so I soaked them for a few days to make sure it wasn't a cleanliness issue. But now I'm leaning towards the need to pickle the stainless again.
OldBugman

Postby brew monkey » Tuesday May 08, 2007 10:09 pm

pickeling takes the carbon off the surface of stainless, as long as you can finish the material properly and make sure you clean it properly i sont see a problem. im looking at flap wheeling the inside and then rubbing it back in steps to around a wet dry 2000+ grit finish to try and avoid any rough areas. just got home, bit late, bit tipsy, will post pictures tomorrow night.

ps didnt purge the inside of the keg, for this type of style i didnt see it necessary, i was only after penetrationand the carbon remains are easier to clean up.
brew monkey

Postby gundaroo » Friday May 18, 2007 7:31 am

yeah,hi guys.
my mate and i recently aquired 50lt kegs and have couplers that are fitted with "postmix" fittings. my mate sourced these fittings from a guy that makes them and from memory it was a 5/8 to 1/2 inch socket,so the post mix turret can screw straight in.he has pictures and when i see him i will ask him to post if anyone is interested.
GUNDAROO
gundaroo

Postby Boonie » Thursday Aug 23, 2007 7:49 pm

Brewaholic wrote:Hey Boonie, those tooheys kegs the top just unscrews give it a tap around with a screwdriver in the hole or use stilsons at least you can get a long handled scrubber in there to clean it out propperly. check out http://www.custombars.com.au for all the parts you need if you cant find em on ebay

I have unscrewed the top but it has another part inside it.....ie I cannot remove the top part that I unscrewed and get inside to clean.

These kegs fit perfectly in my free fridge that I obtained, but if I cannot clean properly, I'll have to consider 19 Litre kegs which means more $ and a unhappy wife :wink: :cry: :lol:

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Aug 23, 2007 8:21 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:Image

OT, but...in my college days back in the states we used to buy "half barrels" which are actually 50L kegs of beer. You can easily get them from local microbrews and even the bottle shops have the major brands in half and quarter size (quarter being half as much). Anyway we used one of those type faucets to get the beer out (maybe you have seen them on the tele at frats parties etc.) and we used to do things called "Keg Stands" where you could drink right from the tap and it basicly shot beer straight down your throat! Need less to say binge drinking was a major problem on our campus. All the local pubs gave you discounts on beer if you had a college ID card :P One served "pitchers" of beer which were about 3L or so for $3 every Wed night and you were supposed to share them but we just used them as big cups :P The German pub (Essan Haus) had $21 "boots" of Spaten Optimator on Thurs nights (the boot was a big ass glass shaped like a boot and we DID share those a bit ;) Friday night was a "Fish Bowl" from the local sports pub, can't remeber the price of those because they got you so blind you forgot the rest of the weekend! I think the fishbowl was just a fish bowl full of whatever kinds of liquor they felt like pouring in at the time. Anyway I am gonna shutup now and go have another beer!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Boonie » Monday Aug 27, 2007 1:00 pm

How do you clean the 50 Litre Kegs?
Boonie

Postby rwh » Monday Aug 27, 2007 4:47 pm

I think the idea is you fill with keg cleaner, which is basically drain cleaner, which just eats anything. Then you drain, rinse, sanitise, and fill with beer.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Aug 27, 2007 7:16 pm

rwh wrote:I think the idea is you fill with keg cleaner, which is basically drain cleaner, which just eats anything. Then you drain, rinse, sanitise, and fill with beer.

Scares me! :lol:

I use dishwasher detergent (the powder kind) to clean my cubes, it eats all the nasties away quite nicely! I then rinse them with a couple litres of boiling water and a good shlug of vinegar and bleach each. Never had any contaminations in 4 years, not sure why it wouldn't work for kegs.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

PreviousNext

Return to Kegging