dry enzyme: smelly beer

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

dry enzyme: smelly beer

Postby heathen » Thursday Mar 08, 2007 4:32 pm

i know this topic has been done to death, and while i overstand the arguments of both sides i have a question: why does the dry enzyme produce such a lingering foul smell? a chemical smell in home brew is not on. it was even more noticeable in the keg. any ideas or improvements? i am referring to the satchet format not the liquid. regards, heathen
...and the serpent said nothing, just grinned with knowledge.
heathen

Postby Oliver » Friday Mar 30, 2007 9:20 pm

The enzyme changes the way the yeast ferments the wort. Whether this is the reason for this foul smell you describe is debatable.

However, because the enzyme does affect the action of the yeast, many home brewers steer well clear of the stuff.

They prefer to adjust the recipe (for instance, adding less partly fermentable sugar such as malt and more fully fermentable sugar such as glucose or dextrose) to achieve a lighter body.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby heathen » Monday Apr 16, 2007 9:00 am

thankyou oliver, i have decided that dry enzyme is evil and my beers can well do without it. the recipe i used it for was a tiger beer clone.
1 can blackrock dry lager
100 grams lactose
500grams dextrose
250 grams ldme
250 grams corn syrup

after 27 months in the bottle it still has not lost that strange chemical smell and i give up. no more dry enzyme. i will cut back the malt if i want a dry beer. back to the drawing board. cheers, heathen
...and the serpent said nothing, just grinned with knowledge.
heathen

Return to Kegging