Beer in Regulator

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Beer in Regulator

Postby Nuxta » Saturday Mar 17, 2007 12:59 pm

G`day guys. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I got some beer in my reg and was told to fill my line with sanatiser and repeat the process and all should be ok. How does this sound to you guys.
You will never take me alive Rex Banner.
Nuxta

Postby Trough Lolly » Saturday Mar 17, 2007 1:17 pm

Oh shite! :shock:
Without knowing the exact specs of your reg, you need to get the sugars and moisture out of the reg. Did much beer got in? I'm not so sure if adding sanitiser to the reg body is a good idea - it's not built for fluids; perhaps a blast of CO2 through the reg would be a good start to purge the beer inside and then using a cotton wool bud dipped in some sanitiser and gently wiped inside the gas out nipple followed by another decent blast of CO2 from the reg would help...but be careful because if the regulator fails, you may get a nasty volume of CO2 through the reg.

If in doubt, get it serviced/repaired or ditch it. :(

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby NTRabbit » Saturday Mar 17, 2007 2:12 pm

I'm almost 100% certain that your regular now needs to be professionally serviced, but Ross will be able to give you a definitive answer - he'll also be able to sell you a checkvalve to prevent future incidents. I know I've got one.
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby mr magoo » Saturday Mar 17, 2007 7:04 pm

This also has happend to me, i know it may be a tad stupid to do nothing about it but thats what i did, nothing, and all my brews since have been fine and the reg hasn't blown up in my face, not that you should just leave it, you should chat with some one who sell's the same reg.
What i would like to know is why this happends?
mmmmmmmmm beer................
mr magoo

Postby Trough Lolly » Saturday Mar 17, 2007 11:07 pm

Basic physics - a full keg, beer in the gas in tube and the pressure of the beer is greater than the CO2 pressure in the gas line then you've got backflow to the reg.
Check valves are the way to go, but that's not gonna fix this issue...

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Ross » Sunday Mar 18, 2007 7:35 am

i'd be taking the reg apart & giving it a good clean - some may recommend not taking them apart, but they are a pretty simple device. If you are not comfortable though, get it professionally done.
Like most things, you maybe lucky & get away with doing nothing, but in all likely hood you'll end up getting a problem & infecting every beer, so get it cleaned or take your chances...
Fitting a flowback valve is very cheap insurance against this happening again...

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby mr magoo » Sunday Mar 18, 2007 8:08 am

Thanks Trough Lolly & Ross,
looks like i'll be investing in a flowback valve.
mmmmmmmmm beer................
mr magoo

Thanks Guys

Postby Nuxta » Sunday Mar 18, 2007 1:38 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate all the feed back.
You will never take me alive Rex Banner.
Nuxta

Return to Kegging