aging in corny kegs

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

aging in corny kegs

Postby huntsy » Thursday Mar 22, 2007 12:40 pm

hi,
just started kegging, wondering how to age in corny kegs?
do I have to gas them before aging or gas after aging
do you age in fridge or at room temperature?
any info greatly appreciated.
thanks huntsy
huntsy

Re: aging in corny kegs

Postby rwh » Thursday Mar 22, 2007 1:02 pm

huntsy wrote:just started kegging, wondering how to age in corny kegs?
do I have to gas them before aging or gas after aging

Purge the headspace with CO2. Leave the gassing for after the beer is cold; it's much easier then.
do you age in fridge or at room temperature?

Room temp, same as for bottles. Then you can cold condition for a while too if you want, but they're different steps.
w00t!
rwh

Postby mr magoo » Thursday Mar 22, 2007 1:39 pm

I've had a brew Cold Conditioning for two weeks now and i wanted to carbonate it today, i wanted to rack it from the keg into another container, to get rid of some more sediment, rinse out the sediment from my keg then rack the brew back into it.

Do you think this will help towards a better looking and tasting beer or should i just carbonate it with out getting rid of some sediment?

I normaly transfer from one keg to the other after CCing but both kegs are now full so i can't do it that way, i know thats the better way of doing
the transfer coz it stops air from getting to the beer.

I also have some finnings to throw in, it's a nice beez kneez clone with the honey added so i don't want to take any of the flavor away, finnings yes? Or finnings no?

Oh and to huntsy i think ColdCing is best done in the fridge hence the cold part, but the owner at my LHBS says he just racks into his kegs then leaves them beside his fridge untill he has the room in his fridge, he has 10 kegs so some are not put in the fridge for months.
And you don't carbonate them till you have aged them, but do make sure you purge your kegs with a bit of gas first then burp your keg by lifting up the presure release on top of your keg, do this in three quick bursts, this ensures there is no air sitting in the top of your keg, which can spoil your beer.
mmmmmmmmm beer................
mr magoo

Postby Aussie Claret » Friday Mar 23, 2007 12:10 pm

you can age and cc your kegs whilst carbonated.
AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby Shaun » Friday Apr 13, 2007 4:39 pm

mr magoo wrote:I've had a brew Cold Conditioning for two weeks now and i wanted to carbonate it today, i wanted to rack it from the keg into another container, to get rid of some more sediment, rinse out the sediment from my keg then rack the brew back into it.

Do you think this will help towards a better looking and tasting beer or should i just carbonate it with out getting rid of some sediment?

No you will only have a small amount of sediment in the bottom of the keg and this will be gone after the first or second glass.
Shaun

Return to Kegging