Keg Carbonation

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Keg Carbonation

Postby Pommie » Tuesday Apr 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Obviously too much free time at work!!!

Came home from a weekend away and though I'd pour a beer from the keg system, I do miss the bugger!!

I noticed that the beer wasnt as carbonated as when I left so it got me to thinking. I have 2 beers on tap, one lager and one stout both connected to gas via a 2-way divider. Gas is left on a pouring pressure. Question is would the carbonation levels over time equalise out so both of my beers which were initially set at 2 different carbonations become as gassy as each other. If so, any way around this?

I also see that a way of carbonating is to force carbonate then turn off the gas and wait for the gas pressure gauge to fall back. If I have a no return valve in-line to protect my regulator then would this method still work I wouldnt have thought it would

Cheers

Rob
Pubs serve beer in schooners because the heat warms the beer. Cant we have the beer in pints and drink faster?
Pommie

Re: Keg Carbonation

Postby rwh » Tuesday Apr 10, 2007 3:24 pm

Pommie wrote:would the carbonation levels over time equalise out so both of my beers which were initially set at 2 different carbonations become as gassy as each other[?]

Yes.
If so, any way around this?

Not without buying a dual pressure regulator.
I also see that a way of carbonating is to force carbonate then turn off the gas and wait for the gas pressure gauge to fall back.

Not sure what you'd achieve by doing this.
If I have a no return valve in-line to protect my regulator then would this method still work I wouldnt have thought it would

The check-valve isn't perfect. Over time it will allow gas to return through it. But in this case, it just has to let the gas travel in the normal direction so it'd work anyway.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Pommie » Tuesday Apr 10, 2007 3:31 pm

Thanks rwh.

The carbonation method was the "Ross" method where you'd gas up for 50 secs then turn off the gas and waited to see where the pressure gauge fell back to in order to see if you had carbonated enough
Pubs serve beer in schooners because the heat warms the beer. Cant we have the beer in pints and drink faster?
Pommie

Postby Ross » Wednesday Apr 11, 2007 12:05 pm

Pommie wrote:Thanks rwh.

The carbonation method was the "Ross" method where you'd gas up for 50 secs then turn off the gas and waited to see where the pressure gauge fell back to in order to see if you had carbonated enough

Yes, this does work with the check valve in place 8)

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby Pommie » Wednesday Apr 11, 2007 12:23 pm

Thanks Ross, helpful as always
Pommie

Return to Kegging