Losing my hair...

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Losing my hair...

Postby quigley » Sunday Apr 22, 2007 2:20 pm

it has probably been asked a milion times.... probably answered a million times.... people are probably fed up to the gills seeing this question... but I am going off my head with it....

I have read every article, searched every thread... tried everything.... so I will just ask the simple question.... I have 1.7 mtrs of 5mm line on my tap... how much (roughly) do I need?

I was thinking of starting with 4 mtrs and working down from there... to get a glass of beer rather than foam! I have tried everything I think.... upped the pressure, downed it, force carbed, not force carbed... I;m going crazy (as you can see from my rant!).

I have to release most of the pressure to get something LIKE a glass of beer, and then of course.. because the pressure is down.... it goes flat.. so I up the pressure.. and away we go again!

Bottom line... Is 1.7 mtrs of 5mm line too little?? What should I be using?

Oops... .someone at the door.. looks like a few guys carrying a white jacket...hmmmm long sleeves.... and I wonder what those straps are for?? and that syringe???

HELP!!!!!!!

:D :D
quigley

Postby chris. » Sunday Apr 22, 2007 2:32 pm

Last edited by chris. on Saturday Oct 13, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris.

Postby Paul » Sunday Apr 22, 2007 5:42 pm

A quick google tells me that 5mm id line has 33kpa resistance per metre.

Beer needs to be stored at about 15 psi (100kpa) to maintain carbonation.

so

100 kpa divided by 33kpa is 3 metres of beer line at a pouring pressure of 100kpa (15 psi). I usually run about 13 psi.

Hope this helps
Paul

Postby quigley » Monday Apr 23, 2007 2:12 pm

Thanks folks for all your help...
I have bought 4 mtrs of line and will try it out over the next week or so... might take longer given that it could take days to get back into equlibrium after me messing.

I just need to settle down I think.... and approach it methodically.

Pauls comment about the resistance per metre has made me sure the original 1.7 mtrs of line is too short! :idea:

Thanks again folks.... I appreciate your help and quick replies! :D
quigley

Return to Kegging