Bad first pour

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Bad first pour

Postby Piego » Sunday May 20, 2007 7:16 pm

Hi All Great site and hope someone can fix this problem I am having
The first beer I pour off is mostly head if I go for a 2nd straight after a great beer is achieved this happens even if I leave it for 10 mins Jugs no problem.Tried pouring pressures from 50 - 100 kpa lower end seems a bit flat gone from 2 metres to 3 metres of line
Any ideas
Cheers
Piego
Piego

Postby rwh » Monday May 21, 2007 10:13 am

How are you carbonating your kegs? This kind of thing can caused by either carbonation too high or pouring pressure too low (or both). What then happens is the beer sitting in the line slowly bubbles, filling the line with gas.

Another thing that can cause this is if too much of the line is outside the fridge, so that the beer gets warm, and because the solubility of CO2 is lower in warm beer than cold beer, the same thing happens: gas bubbles out of solution.

There should be an ideal dispensing pressure that is balanced for your system. Generally, the longer the line the higher the dispensing pressure.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Piego » Monday May 21, 2007 10:38 am

Ok firstly no beer line is outside the fridge tap comes through the door,
So far I have had 2 kegs through the system that were made on a premises and had already been carbonated,The one that is on now is one of my own and I carbonated this one over 48hrs @ 200kpa just let it sit there temp was 3.5 .
Thanks
Piego

Postby rwh » Monday May 21, 2007 10:40 am

I'd be guessing your beer is slightly over-carbonated then. I generally carbonate my beers at pouring pressure, which in my case is 75-100kpa depending on the beer. Takes about a week to carbonate. If you carb at 200kpa and pour at 100kpa, you're bound to get some gas coming out of your beer in the lines.
w00t!
rwh

Postby lethaldog » Monday May 21, 2007 4:43 pm

I carb my kegs at 50 psi (350Kpa) for 24 hours then drop to about 10 Psi ( 70 kpa) for pouring, ive filled and carbed up about 10 kegs now and every one was spot on..

Just something for you to try :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Piego » Monday May 21, 2007 6:32 pm

Well I will try a different method for carbonation ,But from reading the post everyone seems to have a prefered method So I am quessing to say what suits you and your setup and finding that perfect balance .
Cheers
Piego
Piego

Postby Shaun » Tuesday May 22, 2007 7:55 pm

Having a hot tap can also cause this. As the beer hits the tap it will release CO2 and become froth. Try just cracking the tap to let a dribble of beer flow until the tap cools then pour as normal.
Shaun

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday May 23, 2007 2:47 am

Is your tap lower than the top of your beer line?

If it is you may have some CO2 building up in the line as it sits. If the tap is the highest point it will form at the tap and then blow offas you open it.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Return to Kegging