Cellarmix.....

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Cellarmix.....

Postby Ash » Thursday May 31, 2007 12:45 pm

Hey Guys,

Just curious who is using this stuff for their Kilkenny/Guiness clones?

Is it usable for normal beers too?

Are you using a foamer tap or can you use it with a pluto gun if you don't go wide open on the trigger?

Also, where did you get it from. Both BOC & AirLiquide only have the big F size 22kg bottles.

Cheers
Ash
Ash

Postby heathen » Thursday May 31, 2007 3:46 pm

hello, i use aligal 15, i use it with my 20 litre system, on all beers, the result is a finer head and finer bubbles in yr beer, at times i wonder why particularly as it takes so long to carbonate the keg (6 days minimum) as opposed to straight co2 which can be done in 24 hours or less. i was curious and going through a real stout phase, (winter where im from is bloody cold) so i gave it a go, i use an f class cylinder at all times as im lazy and dont want to be caught short. does it make a difference? a little. co2 is just as good. ive found that blasting the co2 at 200 kpa for roughly 18 hours does the same job and serving temp also seems to make a difference, currently my beer fridge is off and it hardly needs any nudge to get the beer out and the head is fluffier than usual. beer is funny and i love playing with the various aspects of it. sorry if this isnt helpful.
...and the serpent said nothing, just grinned with knowledge.
heathen

Postby heathen » Thursday May 31, 2007 3:49 pm

sorry, forgot to say, i use a gun to disperse and i fully suppress the trigger at around 30 kpa if cold and even less at cellar temp. if u only press a little on the trigger it flattens the beer as the bubbles lose their integrity, but if u do both techniques with co2 u get a similiar feel to a nitro mix gas, regards heathen
...and the serpent said nothing, just grinned with knowledge.
heathen

Postby ROBSKI » Thursday May 31, 2007 8:48 pm

Hi Ash I am new to this also, I was told to buy a mixture of 55% Co2 and 45% n2. I got mine from BOC so it shouldnt be that hard up there is Townsville.

Next brew is going to be a Killkenny so I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers Robski
ROBSKI

Return to Kegging