Sanitizing Kegs

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Sanitizing Kegs

Postby GTI86 » Monday Apr 04, 2005 8:16 pm

Was wondering what people have been useing as a sanaitzer will be going
with bleach unless there is any probs with this let me know also how do you guys clean the fittings on the keg can you remove the line that picks
up the beer :?
GTI86

Postby grabman » Monday Apr 04, 2005 8:39 pm

GT, All the fittings can be removed to clean etc, I generally flush with hot water and Keg Cleaner then with hot water again to remove all traces of cleaner etc. Don't forget to leave beer line on and clean/flush that through as well.

I also unscrew fittings each brew to clean them as well. I'm looking myself for an alternate cleaner. Was told by a bloke that you can't use normal sanitizer, something to do with fittings and seals he reckoned! If that's BS then I can just have the one cleaner and make life easier :!:
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Apr 04, 2005 9:13 pm

GT,

Chlorine and stainless is bad juju

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Guest » Monday Apr 04, 2005 9:19 pm

Keg cleaner hey will drop into my local hbs to see if i can get some Grabman do you leave your kegs hooked up all the time or do you need to flush the lines out each night seam to remember doing this when I worked in a pub ran water through the lines after each night?

Postby GTI86 » Monday Apr 04, 2005 9:21 pm

That last post was mine doh
Had a feeling it would be Dogger probley saved me a big hassel cheers mate
GTI86

Postby grabman » Monday Apr 04, 2005 9:41 pm

Nah I' leave them hooked up and clean and flush between kegs. Kegs don't last that long at my place. Most pubs only do lines onec a week, so not a problem at home where run is shorter etc
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Apr 05, 2005 10:44 am

GT,

It was Grab who mentioned the keg cleaner. If you use bleach on stainless you will eventually screw it up because the chlorine will eat it. ( take a piece of Copper and put it in some bleach and see what happens.)

That being said, I use chlorine bleach on stainless in very small doses and I sure don't let it sit there long. Thats me though, I would recommend thais practice to no one. Eventually it will catch up with me. I also pacify my kit every 6 months.

Please, Use the keg cleaner, it will be far better in the long run for you and your kit

Andy
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Antsvb » Tuesday Apr 05, 2005 9:23 pm

Grab,
Got told similar bout sanitizer and keg seals. Use a keg cleaner as well.
'Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.' - Benjamin Franklin.

Antsvb.
Antsvb

Return to Kegging