Dumb font q?

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Dumb font q?

Postby gibbocore » Thursday Jun 28, 2007 4:34 pm

G'day, can anyone tell me the difference between a flooded font and not flooded? I'm buying some new taps and ant a double font but don't know what i should be asking for?
gibbocore

Postby rwh » Thursday Jun 28, 2007 5:02 pm

A flooded font has refrigerant (glycerol I think normally) continuously circulated through it to keep the beer lines cold. A non-flooded font doesn't. You can generally tell a flooded font in a pub because it forms ice from condensation.

As a homebrewer, you probably don't need one, and they're relatively expensive because you need a pump to circulate the refrigerant.
w00t!
rwh

Postby NTRabbit » Thursday Jun 28, 2007 5:07 pm

No you don't need one as a homebrewer, but if you have the money for the equipment and the space in your beer fridge to fit a reservoir, then having a flooded font is worth +50 awesome points when showing it off to your mates or fellow brewers. :wink:
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby Brewaholic » Thursday Jun 28, 2007 7:14 pm

Also with a flooded font you will waste alot less beer cause its not warm and frothy in the font if you have an ice bank or temprite you should defenately get one but they are next to unusable on a kegerator you would need a to make a water bath and pump in your fridge that would take up precious keg space :!:
CURRENT STATUS -- Drunk
Brewaholic

Postby Ross » Friday Jun 29, 2007 7:17 am

Unless you have the necessary hardware I'd stick with non flooded & use a computer fan to blow cool air up the font. Otherwise, just put up with a bit of initial frothing.

Cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby gibbocore » Friday Jun 29, 2007 8:19 am

HHmmmm i could do with the +50 points....

On the otehr hand, how much more expensive are they? How much does arndale sell em for?
gibbocore

Return to Kegging