Bar fridge and Freezer to Home brew fridge plus

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Bar fridge and Freezer to Home brew fridge plus

Postby Gus5 » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 5:19 pm

Ok guys i have just bought all the gear i need to have draft beer, have an old Bar fridge with freezer that doesn't allow the kegs to fit in and as i gave the wife a lovely surprise with the draft set up, its ok the couch is quite comfortable, i have been banned from spending any more money on beer, did i fail to mention the other surprise that i gave her about the extra fermenter and 200 plus bottles and other stuff the week before? Any way no more spending,

so to the promblem/ idea, i was thinking of un doing the screws in the freezer box and placeing it at the back of the fridge, which will then allow the kegs to fit in, can anyone see any problems with this?
I was thinking i would have to turn the fridge down to accomodate the freezer still in there, or i was going to try and remove it all together by taking off the back compartment and working out some sort of tower cooling system with it on top or even or a glass chiller or the likes.

Any ideas/ problems?
Yes i know i could just sell it or swap it but that would be no fun now would it. Of course i would have to suprise the wife with a love Font to go with it but there you go.
Gus5

Postby James L » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 5:51 pm

One thing i found with my brew fridge was;

i bought a fridge with a built in freezer, planning to take the freezer compartment out when i got home. I found out that the cooling of the whole fridge was reliant on the freezer, so i couldnt do that... The fermenter still fits, but its hard to keep the fridge at 12C when you have a freezer either running flat out or off.... plus the freezer compartment continually ices up, then defrosts...

The same thing might apply to your bar fridge too (the way it cools).....

Just some things that i have experienced... i think it'll work if you are keeping the temp at 4C... and just move the freezer to the back, and prop it up so it stays the same level it was, and isnt just hanging there....

If the fridge doesnt need the freezer to keep the rest of the freezer cold, then you could always try and remove it....
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 5:55 pm

The type I was looking at buying all had the bottom shelf of the freezer being part of the cooling component, ie...gas ran through the shelf itself and could not be removed!

If you have a type where removing the freezer bit is possible let me know please because I have been looking at full size fridges just to avoid this problem and they are heaps expensive!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby heathen » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 6:01 pm

hey guys, if its an old style fridge you need to get a spacer put in to increase the range of temp the fridge can produce, otherwise the kegs and line will freeze up, ive had two fridges fixed( old school kelvinators) and they were awesome after that. just quietly, it pays to spend more than $50 for a fridge( fridge #5 coming up for me) as they tend to burn out quick with the constant demand of kegging, only imo anyway. regards gentleman, heathen
...and the serpent said nothing, just grinned with knowledge.
heathen

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 6:06 pm

heathen wrote:hey guys, if its an old style fridge you need to get a spacer put in to increase the range of temp the fridge can produce, otherwise the kegs and line will freeze up, ive had two fridges fixed( old school kelvinators) and they were awesome after that. just quietly, it pays to spend more than $50 for a fridge( fridge #5 coming up for me) as they tend to burn out quick with the constant demand of kegging, only imo anyway. regards gentleman, heathen

I payed $50 for my latest shed fridge from a richy family who just wanted rid of it, its the best $50 ive ever spent, my advice is get a big enough fridge so that you dont need to mess with the workings of them, they are designed to run the way they are made and remember that the gas that runs through them can be quite toxic if it gets out, all the more reason not to mess with them :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby heathen » Tuesday Jul 24, 2007 6:56 pm

couldnt agree more leigh, the problem i have is that 50 litre kegs dont fit in the modern fridges as they all seem to have a step designed to fit vegetable drawers which dont fit or support a 50 litre keg, therefore older fridges are pretty much all i can use for the 50 litre system. and old fridges run cold. still, with tax time being so good i can afford too be a bit choosier with my next fridge, i agree with leigh get a fridge that can handle the job first up and there'll b less tears later. warm regards, heathen
heathen

Postby rwh » Wednesday Jul 25, 2007 11:32 am

So what is wrong with old style fridge +fridgemate?
w00t!
rwh

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Jul 25, 2007 11:36 am

rwh wrote:So what is wrong with old style fridge +fridgemate?

Thats what I am after! Hopefully can find a cheap second hand "fridge or freeze only" jobbie and setup a fridgemate on it ;)

My brother in law has a 200L old one and it is brilliant. Can go from -5 to 18C constant without a fridgemate!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jul 25, 2007 12:25 pm

Picking up an older fridge tomorrow to put my kegs in. The bloke was used to keggers coming in and had the dimensions for cornies on his desk!

Its all fridge, the vegie drawer doesnt come in too far but i was thinking of putting a false wood shelf in to even it up and put other beers underneath it.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby heathen » Wednesday Jul 25, 2007 1:32 pm

how much is fridgemate? regards
heathen

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jul 25, 2007 2:02 pm

$47.50 - Link
drsmurto

Postby heathen » Wednesday Jul 25, 2007 2:17 pm

shit hey, i paid a fridge electrician $80 to get my old fridge modified, this forum is constantly wowing me i really should ask more questions before i part with my cash, paid $280 for a new fridge this morning :cry: . too damn impatient for my own good. regards heathen
heathen

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Jul 25, 2007 2:24 pm

$280 for a new fridge is good, i am guessing its a bar fridge?

I am paying $295 for an old one but mine is all fridge and 350L. I have 2 other fridges, one to brew in ($40 and very rusty) which has a temp controller and one for ccing (free from a workmate). Or maybe 2 for brewing.....

And if i can convince my partner to upgrade the kitchen fridge........
drsmurto

Postby heathen » Wednesday Jul 25, 2007 2:32 pm

nah, second hand, fairly big with a freezer up the top, getting delivered in the next hour, no drawer step but ill have to pull everything out. this is for my 50 litre system, fridge number three for it. my 20 litre system is brilliant, only one fridge ever with it paid $60 for a 220 litre fridge only in perfect condition. th 20 litre kegs fit in nearly every fridge. the 50s are major pain, but because they r aquired, ahem, somewhat dubiously, they r too hard to sell. but this is the most i've paid for a fridge so im hoping it'll last longer than a year. regards, heathen
heathen

Postby regan » Friday Jul 27, 2007 11:50 am

nothing like an oldie... bought my fridge about 3 months ago... $50 and she squeezes 4 cornies in nice and tight after a quick door shelf removal job... it gives the missus a bit more freezer space so shes even happy.
beer-o-beer
regan

Return to Kegging