50 litre kegs ???

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

50 litre kegs ???

Postby Nathan Davis » Tuesday Sep 11, 2007 11:40 pm

Hi All
Wondering if anyone can offer some advice, acquired a couple of 50litre kegs (tooheys type) and am wondering
1) how would i go about burping out the air after filling, there is no relief valve on keg or my coupler or what could i do in this case.
2) How would i go about carbonating them as in pressure and time under gas

any help would be appreciated thanks.
Nathan Davis

Postby Nathan Davis » Saturday Sep 15, 2007 7:13 pm

OK due to the lack of response on this one ive had to go to school, ive worked out how to burp the keg i just put the coupler on and connected the gas to the gas in line and took it off again and got a socket that was roughly the same size as the the rubber seal on the top of the keg and vented some pressure then hooked the coupler up again and did the same a few times so i think it is suffieceintly burped.
Now for carbonating i think ill try the same method as ive always used with the cornys and put em under 40 psi for 48 hours and then sample and see if it needs more time, i guess it may take a little longer due to the increased volume but its a suck and see situation so ill post my results as i work it out. Ifu wanna know how to modify the pub kegs ask and ill lett ull know....... more beer better
Nathan Davis

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday Sep 15, 2007 7:48 pm

"pub kegs" is a pretty loose term, there are a few different kinds, some are much more of a PITA than others ;)

Best of luck mate, sorry I am no help to ya!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Nathan Davis » Saturday Sep 15, 2007 9:13 pm

Apreciate the reply im learning but but willing to sare what i learn
Nathan Davis

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday Sep 15, 2007 9:16 pm

Thats great! I know f**k all about kegs...but I am sure someone will be along to enlighten you soon. The place is a bit slow on the weekends.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby rwh » Monday Sep 17, 2007 10:08 am

Hi Nathan,

I read your original post but thought someone else more knowledgeable would come along (I only have experience with cornies). Is it possible to attach the gas line to the beer-out side of your keg coupler? If so, you can burp your keg that way, so long as your can find a way to open the valve on the gas-in side. On a cornie you do this by just pressing down the poppet in the centre of the coupling, so perhaps it's similar in your case. So this way, you have the CO2 going in the beer-out side and coming out the gas-in side, effectively running your keg in reverse so you don't pump any beer out.

Hope that's clear! :lol:
w00t!
rwh

Postby Nathan Davis » Friday Sep 28, 2007 5:37 pm

I tried gassing the same way as the cornies 40 psi for 48 hours but came out a little overgassed, ive since been told by the HBS man that he thinks the only way to gas (cornies) is at pouring pressure for 7 days,he reckons any quicker and u lose taste, so ill try this next time and see what happens. But in all ive been drinking from the 50 litre keg and am now able to pour a decent beer from it after degassing it a bit so im happy. Hope this helps others.
Nathan Davis

Postby Nathan Davis » Friday Oct 12, 2007 5:15 pm

Ok am now onto my second 50 litre keg the first turned out great. And the second is just as good so it was a great success i gassed at 40 psi for 48 hours again and after you pour off a bit of froth it comes good. And after a while it gets even better so i i hope this helps others.
Nathan Davis

Postby Tipsy » Saturday Oct 13, 2007 7:39 pm

Nathan Davis wrote:ive since been told by the HBS man that he thinks the only way to gas (cornies) is at pouring pressure for 7 days,he reckons any quicker and u lose taste

I think he's full of it.

But I have been drinking

from a force carbed keg
Tipsy

Return to Kegging