Thinking of trying a new carbonation method

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Nov 22, 2007 5:07 pm

I have seen "Bright Beer Sheet Filters" that claim to remove 99.995% of yeast or something silly like that. Though most breweries use 0.5 micron filters which remove about 95% then they flash pasteurise the rest :shock:

Anyway what was the original topic again?

The method sounds like a great idea Pommie. I have heard of people using a similar process to CC or Lager beers in the keg, they then force transfer the beer to a clean keg and carbonate it in there, though that sounds like more work than it is worth IMHO.

Only thing I would suggest is to purge the keg before you put the beer in not after.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby KEG » Thursday Nov 22, 2007 5:44 pm

drsmurto wrote:I have some 0.1 micron filters that i reckon would get rid of damn near all of the little buggers........
reckon that'd have an impact on flavour?
KEG

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Nov 23, 2007 8:31 am

Good point Chris - I notice that the Country Brewer advertises a beer filter with 0.35 micron cartridge. Has anyone bought/used it? That's a pretty damn fine filter spec - my concern is whether it strips more out of the beer than haze particles and yeast??? :?

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby drsmurto » Friday Nov 23, 2007 10:39 am

0.1 micron would strip out a lot more then just yeast. I use them to filter RO water before using it at work and its takes sooooo long for the water to come thru and i am applying a vacuum to speed it up.

I was just being a smart arse - happens occasionally :lol:

0.5 micron would be the option i would choose - a good balance between clearing the beer and not reducing the flow.
drsmurto

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Nov 23, 2007 11:13 am

drsmurto wrote:0.1 micron would strip out a lot more then just yeast. I use them to filter RO water before using it at work and its takes sooooo long for the water to come thru and i am applying a vacuum to speed it up.

I was just being a smart arse - happens occasionally :lol:

0.5 micron would be the option i would choose - a good balance between clearing the beer and not reducing the flow.

Doc - any difference between 0.5 and 0.35 micron, flow wise?
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby drsmurto » Friday Nov 23, 2007 11:20 am

Yes but prob not all that noticeable when used under pressure. Might take an extra min or 2 for the full keg but what would be more interesting is to compare not only the flavour between original and filtered but also the colour.

If you are kegging and have more patience than me then i would give 0.35 a go and see how that works. I think most of the filters sold are 0.5?
drsmurto

Postby Trough Lolly » Friday Nov 23, 2007 11:55 am

Thanks for that...

The only directly comparable filter is the one micron kit that Ross sells: here

p.s. apologies for the thread hijack...
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby drsmurto » Friday Nov 23, 2007 12:01 pm

wow, i honestly thought Ross sold 0.5 micron. But then 1 micron will still remove damn near 90% of the yeast still left in suspension.

Back on topic - i tend to use the 60 sec force carb method altho i need to give it 2 goes normally to get carb right. 3 results in snow cones.

I dont like leaving my gas on as i am still to track down a leak so until then the quick force carb does the job.
drsmurto

Previous

Return to Kegging