Keg Leak

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Keg Leak

Postby cpbotts » Tuesday Nov 27, 2007 1:11 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here and new to kegging. I just bought a keg system off eBay and am having problems with it.

I filled my keg and gassed it, but when I pull a beer from my tap the outlet post is leaking. Because I don't know the history of this system I can't be sure if the problem is due to a faulty outlet post or faulty beer disconnect.

I have a second keg and thought I could change the post off it to the filled keg, but didn't know if that was okay to do.

Any suggestions how I can figure out this problem before I go out and spend money?

Cheers
Craig
cpbotts

Postby regan » Tuesday Nov 27, 2007 1:18 pm

yeah you can change the post over with the keg full. best to do it with the lid off (and not just blown off) otherwise the carb presure will waste your beer and make the floor stickey... purge and slightly recarbonate as soon as possible :wink:
beer-o-beer
regan

Postby rwh » Tuesday Nov 27, 2007 3:30 pm

Sounds strange to me that it's only leaking when you're pulling a beer. have you inspected the rubber seal on the post? Also, is the beer line well secured onto the disconnect?

It also might be worth pulling the post off the keg and inspecting the rubber seal inside, which is on the dip tube. Then lube the seals with some food-grade lube, put it all back together and give it another go.
w00t!
rwh

Re: Keg Leak

Postby Trough Lolly » Tuesday Nov 27, 2007 4:26 pm

cpbotts wrote:Hi all,

I'm new here and new to kegging. I just bought a keg system off eBay and am having problems with it.

I filled my keg and gassed it, but when I pull a beer from my tap the outlet post is leaking. Because I don't know the history of this system I can't be sure if the problem is due to a faulty outlet post or faulty beer disconnect.

I have a second keg and thought I could change the post off it to the filled keg, but didn't know if that was okay to do.

Any suggestions how I can figure out this problem before I go out and spend money?

Cheers
Craig

Hi Craig - not trying to be a smartarse or anything, but you do have the black (beer) disconnect on the beer post marked "out" and the grey (gas) disconnect on the gas post marked "in", don't you?
Sometimes the disconnects feel like they're on the post but not snapped on - a bit of a push and you should feel the quick disconnect snap into position - and for god's sake, don't force the wrong disconnect onto the wrong post - they're a mongrel to remove without breaking something. A leaky beer out post means it's either cracked (the post - and that's pretty unlikely), the poppet valve is stuck in the post and needs to be replaced or at the very least, lubricated around the small o-ring at the top of the poppet head, or you have a leaky disconnect connection that needs to be pushed home, or, your beer out disconnect is stuffed or clogged with crap from the bottom of the keg, or the dip tube o-ring is stuffed as rwh pointed out...
Did you hop the keg of beer or transfer some hop matter other than pellet sludge into the keg when you racked the beer?

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Shaun » Wednesday Nov 28, 2007 6:39 pm

Also may simply need the seals replaced. There is the one you can see near the top of the post there is also one under the post between the keg and the dip tube.

As the history of the kegs is unknown I would get a seal kit and replace all seals in each keg.
Shaun

Postby Cortez The Killer » Monday Dec 03, 2007 12:50 pm

Try some food grade lube on the seals

Or replace them

May also be the disconnect itself

Cheers
He came dancing across the water.
Cortez, Cortez. What a killer!
Cortez The Killer

Return to Kegging