Carbonation

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Postby rwh » Monday Dec 24, 2007 1:56 pm

Kevnlis wrote:But the gas was set at pouring pressure when I poured and it still sprayed everywhere? I disconnected and burped it like KEG said, let it rest a few hours and then it worked great!

So your system isn't balanced. If you leave it at pouring pressure, your beer will slowly lose carbonation. A balanced system is carbonated the same as the pouring pressure so that gas doesn't go either way. Did you read the article I posted?
TFA wrote:BALANCING THE SYSTEM

So now we've got our numbers dialled in, the keg has been sitting at the correct temperature and pressure for several days, it has reached equilibrium and everything is nice and settled. If we attached a tap directly to the keg and tried to pour a beer with the keg at its equilibrium pressure, we would most likely get a high-pressure jet of beer in our lap. What we need to do is create the right amount of resistance between the keg and the tap to give us a nice controlled rate of pour, without having to change the keg pressure now that we've so carefully set it to the perfect 'equilibrium' level.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Dec 26, 2007 8:52 am

Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Dec 27, 2007 5:14 pm

How do I increase my pouring pressure without getting a glass of foam? Longer and smaller ID tubing from the keg to the tap I guess? Anything else I can do? Right now I am only able to pour at about 30-35 kpa and the beer is nearly flat even after several days at this pressure.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Boonie » Thursday Dec 27, 2007 5:45 pm

I've just had the same prob.

Poured the beer this arvo and I could tell by the way it poured that the beer was nearly flat.......close, but no cigar.

The porter was fine as I like it with not alot of bubble but the amarillo ale was a little dodgy.....they are both nearly empty anyway :cry:

I am going to buy 3-4 metres per keg of beer lines tomorrow to try and aleviate this prob in the future. First flat beer really from the kegs in about 2 weeks, but they have been disappearing pretty quick over Xmas....but in the future it will be me, myself and I tackling the 38 litres 8)

My pouring pressure was at 10kpa and I was shocked as I had read 70, until you guys here helped me with the longer beer lines, and links :wink: .

I'd go longer lines Kev, mind you IMA noob, but that's my plan unless someone tells me otherwise in the next 12 hours.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Dec 27, 2007 8:34 pm

I have 1/2 inch line so I may start around 5 metres and work backward from there if need be. I would really like to be able to pour at 60-70 kpa if possible (twice what I can do ATM).

Are you sure it is 10 kpa and not 10 psi? That sounds extremely low pressure to be pouring at, unless you have a bronco and want to spend half your life at it ;)

Would the fact that the taps are shanks through a fridge walls in a Bundaberg HOT garage make a difference as well? Maybe I should make up some sort of insulated cover for them?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby KEG » Thursday Dec 27, 2007 9:13 pm

insulation is a waste of time unless you're pouring beers as frequently as every minute or so.. it just won't be effective.
KEG

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Dec 27, 2007 9:36 pm

KEG wrote:insulation is a waste of time unless you're pouring beers as frequently as every minute or so.. it just won't be effective.

Yeah but with each beer every night the tap will get cooler if I use some sort of insulated cover. That should help each beer pour better as the night goes on, more so when I have company.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby KEG » Thursday Dec 27, 2007 10:13 pm

that's why i mentioned a time frame in my post. i reckon any less frequently than a beer being poured every 5-10 minutes and the insulation wouldn't make a difference.
KEG

Postby Boonie » Friday Dec 28, 2007 11:27 am

Kevnlis wrote:
Are you sure it is 10 kpa and not 10 psi? That sounds extremely low pressure to be pouring at, unless you have a bronco and want to spend half your life at it ;)

Would the fact that the taps are shanks through a fridge walls in a Bundaberg HOT garage make a difference as well? Maybe I should make up some sort of insulated cover for them?

Pretty sure it is kpa, I'll double check tonight when I get home. I do not have a bronco, but I do seem to spend half my time at the tap :wink:

It does pour slower but not that slow.

I've purchased the extra beer line for each. They are 4 metres plus 8) .You can always go backwards in length, exactly correct keg. Well OK, you could go up but you would have to buy connectors.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Kevnlis » Friday Dec 28, 2007 5:11 pm

That troubleshooting page TL linked suggests 14 psi minimum for pouring properly from a tap. Thats about 60-65 kpa I think? Also looks like my target length of 5 metres might be perfect for my system but like you say Boonie it is far easier to shorten than to lengthen. I will order the beer line and see where it gets me. If that does not work you may hear back from me guys!

Thanks for the help, hope you are all enjoying your holidays!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Previous

Return to Kegging