Couldn't help myself

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Couldn't help myself

Postby wayneh07 » Sunday Feb 03, 2008 9:50 am

I couldn't help myself, I had to show off my new bar.
This started out as an idea and just grew. I had a heap of old hardwood and the sides off an old padded waterbed laying around, and decided I wanted a semi-circular bar, so I kerfed and bent the padded side of the water bed into a semi-circle. I cut up the beams from an old pergola for the bartop, which came up very nicely with a few coats of decking finish and made the barrel front out of short palings that were roughly sanded. I had a Jack Daniels sign which fitted nicely into the front, and will eventually have backlighting. Finished off with a couple of pieces of thin maple painted black for the hoops, a set of taps from a Tasmanian pub and there you go, what's in my head is now in the barroom.
I've got a small fridge under the bar that takes two corny kegs, with the lines going through the top, and lagged from the top of the fridge right up inside the standpipe to keep the temperature stable.
If anyone wants info, give me a yell.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by wayneh07 on Sunday Feb 03, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bottles are why they invented Kegs!
wayneh07

Re: Couldn't help myself

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Feb 03, 2008 9:54 am

Welcome wayne, that is a very nice bar indeed! How long did it take you to get everything together? Looks like it was worth the work in the end anyway...
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby wayneh07 » Sunday Feb 03, 2008 9:56 am

Hi Kev
Thanks mate, it took a little over three months to build it, but it was worth every minute.
The whole thing actually cost very little as well, and it came up looking pretty authentic with the aged timbers.
wayneh07

Postby Paul » Monday Feb 04, 2008 5:18 pm

Its just a suggestion but have you thought of raising the fridge up so rather than have beer line expose the excess line is inside of the fridge where its nice and cold.
Paul

Postby wayneh07 » Monday Feb 04, 2008 5:35 pm

G'day Paul
Mate I hadn't but I will be doing just that, I don't know why I didn't think of it myself.
Probably because I was working on the theory that I might have to move it at some stage.
If you're ever in Sydney, give me a yell!
Cheers
Wayne
wayneh07

Postby Paul » Monday Feb 04, 2008 6:50 pm

Good stuff, it looks really good. Just make sure that youve got 3 metres of 5mm beer line going to each tap so that you have a balanced system and not have to play with the reg all the time.

Then the fun begins. you have to drink lots of kegs to get your carbonation technique right.
Paul

Postby Lance » Tuesday Feb 05, 2008 8:16 am

The other thing you could do is buy a regulator add on. This allows you to have 2 different styles of beer at different pouring pressures. Here a link where you could purchase one.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=974

This one is for a Micromatic but they also have harris ones available.

Thanks Lance
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
Lance

Postby wayneh07 » Tuesday Feb 05, 2008 8:21 am

Paul wrote:Good stuff, it looks really good. Just make sure that youve got 3 metres of 5mm beer line going to each tap so that you have a balanced system and not have to play with the reg all the time.

Then the fun begins. you have to drink lots of kegs to get your carbonation technique right.

Hi Paul
I've got about 2 metres on each, and both work nicely.
Cheers!
wayneh07

Postby wayneh07 » Tuesday Feb 05, 2008 8:37 am

Lance wrote:The other thing you could do is buy a regulator add on. This allows you to have 2 different styles of beer at different pouring pressures. Here a link where you could purchase one.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=974

This one is for a Micromatic but they also have harris ones available.

Thanks Lance

Hi Lance
Thanks for that, I will be investing in one of those when I can afford it. Currently I'm only running one style of beer, but intend to experiment a little in future.
I've had great success up till now with good old Tooheys Draught, and have also kegged a couple of Malt Shovel Brewery's 'Nut Brown Ale', but I need to get a few more kegs than I have currently.
Cheers!
wayneh07

Return to Kegging