Nitrogen mix

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Nitrogen mix

Postby aceuass » Saturday Feb 23, 2008 9:23 am

Hello
Is it possible to force carbonate my beer with CO2 and than use a keg charger with a 12 gram bulb to help pour a creamy head on a stout or real ale,or could I just use the keg charger with the nitrogen and no added co2.
Cheers
Paul :wink:
Menu-
Honey Oak-APA with oak chips,primed with honey
Tryadry stout-
Pale Abbott Ale
CC`s Pils-german pils
Auntie Stella-Stella clone
Belgium Whit Bier
Coopers stout
Spring Ale
aceuass

Re: Nitrogen mix

Postby rwh » Saturday Feb 23, 2008 1:03 pm

I'm guessing you mean is it possible to force carb with CO2 and then use a nitrogen bulb to dispense? I would be guessing the answer is no (or rather, it'll dispense, but you won't get the notrogen-like head). Normally you use a nitrogen/CO2 mix at a much higher pressure than CO2 alone because the solubility of nitrogen is much lower than that of CO2, so the pressure has to be higher to get any of it to dissolve. I doubt that you'd be able to get the pressure up high enough with those tiny bulbs. Have you used CO2 bulbs before? You don't get very much pressure out of one... I found that I had to use four bulbs to dispense one 19L keg, and the flow rate was much lower than it is with my standard CO2 bottle.
w00t!
rwh

Re: Nitrogen mix

Postby aceuass » Sunday Feb 24, 2008 12:18 am

Thanks,I guess I should look at the premixed tanks and regulators we have over here.
I have a kegerator set up for 2 kegs with co2,and was looking for another way to dispense without disrupting that setup.
Cheers Paul :wink:
Menu-
Honey Oak-APA with oak chips,primed with honey
Tryadry stout-
Pale Abbott Ale
CC`s Pils-german pils
Auntie Stella-Stella clone
Belgium Whit Bier
Coopers stout
Spring Ale
aceuass

Return to Kegging