Fibreglass it?

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Fibreglass it?

Postby Boonie » Wednesday Mar 05, 2008 6:40 pm

G'day Gentlemen,

Well, my power bill went up heaps this summer, so the large fridge with the 2 kegs, 1 spare keg as well and gas bottle inside will have to be converted to a brew fridge. That'll still cost me just not as much :D

Anyway, I have a smaller fridge that will just fit the 2 kegs (measured it) and taps, gas put outside the fridge, but I need to rub off the slots where the shelves used to be. The shelves fitted into moulded plastic.

To my question, if I rub them back with the belt sander and the foam becomes exposed when it is flat, how should I seal it?

I was thinking fibreglass as I have used this before and I thought that it would withstand the cold.

Anyone tried this?

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Re: Fibreglass it?

Postby Kevnlis » Wednesday Mar 05, 2008 7:06 pm

Fibreglass will work great, just make sure you test the resin on a small part of the plastic before you get stuck in. The resin can melt some plastics...

As for using the smaller fridge, have you tested it's efficiency at keeping the kegs cold vs the larger fridge?
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Boonie » Wednesday Mar 05, 2008 9:27 pm

Kevnlis wrote:Fibreglass will work great, just make sure you test the resin on a small part of the plastic before you get stuck in. The resin can melt some plastics...

As for using the smaller fridge, have you tested it's efficiency at keeping the kegs cold vs the larger fridge?

The fridge has managed to cool 24 longies no probs at all....also, the fridge is inside my back verandah which is enclosed, so I think that it will go OK.

Did not know it melts. I've f'glassed the floor in my old boat with no probs, actually quite professional if I say so myself 8) . but that was with marine ply etc.......actually my cousin told me it was the neatest first time job he had seen....good with my hands :D ol' man taught me everything I know...jack of all trades :P

Rambling here sorry, had a few HB's and finished with a couple of Coopers 07's......

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby Longwood-65 » Wednesday Mar 05, 2008 9:40 pm

When the plastic broke in my old fridge I removed all the plastic and re-lined it with aluminium Plate.
works a treat as the Aluminium also gets cold.
Cheers
Ron
Longwood-65

Postby KEG » Wednesday Mar 05, 2008 11:15 pm

^^ only problem there is that while the plastic would go a way towards insulating, the aluminium might allow more heat in.
KEG

Postby Paul » Thursday Mar 06, 2008 4:22 pm

If its outside id recommend getting a chest freezer. They're much better insulated and will cool down a warm keg less than half the time that a fridge does. This wil be heaps cheaper to run than a fridge.

A fridge really struggles outside in the heat where a chest freezer doesnt.
Paul

Postby Longwood-65 » Thursday Mar 06, 2008 6:47 pm

Paul wrote:If its outside id recommend getting a chest freezer.

can't help but to think that the tap will be much lower in a chest frezer, meaning either to bend over to pour the beer or knealing.

Knealing made me chuckle paying homage to the great brew god

cheers
Ron
Longwood-65

Postby Boonie » Thursday Mar 06, 2008 7:08 pm

Longwood-65 wrote:
Paul wrote:If its outside id recommend getting a chest freezer.

can't help but to think that the tap will be much lower in a chest frezer, meaning either to bend over to pour the beer or knealing.

Knealing made me chuckle paying homage to the great brew god

cheers
Ron

It is inside a room that is insulated.....the chest freezer will cost me about 300-400 big ones, 2nd hand + the fridgemate, as I would go for one that would fit the 3 kegs and the gas bottle, so I was thinking of using what I have...ultimate would be chest freezer. I have discussed this with my wife before and described the plan. She agreed that it would look better.

Plus I would have to buy the "upright" for the taps I have, so I was trying to keep the $ down and using what I have.

If and when I go the chest freezer, it will have a bar wrapped around it with 4 taps on the go....the gas outside in this case :D .

I plan to do this in a fortnight as I am coach of a cricket team that is in the GF this week 8) . Hopfully they will pull it off like the Jets.....you can handball in cricket :lol: :lol: :lol: ...for those that saw the controversy.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Mar 06, 2008 7:22 pm

I assure you I do not bend over or kneel at my chesty ;)

The taps are just about belly button height and I honestly would not want them any higher!
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Boonie » Thursday Mar 06, 2008 7:30 pm

Kevnlis wrote:I assure you I do not bend over or kneel at my chesty ;)

The taps are just about belly button height and I honestly would not want them any higher!

You are teasing me now Kev....about the freezer, not the kneeling :lol: , thought I had better get in first before ryan and lethal :wink:
Boonie

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Mar 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Boonie wrote:
Kevnlis wrote:I assure you I do not bend over or kneel at my chesty ;)

You are teasing me now Kev....about the freezer, not the kneeling :lol: , thought I had better get in first before ryan and lethal :wink:

I do not tease Boonie... the taps on the other hand...
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Return to Kegging