Anyone Know of or used these????

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Anyone Know of or used these????

Postby Clean Brewer » Saturday May 03, 2008 1:45 pm

To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Re: Anyone Know of or used these????

Postby rohanbutler » Saturday May 03, 2008 4:04 pm

I could be wrong but they look like something G&G and few other retailers sell called "tap-a-draft", there is a thread on them on the first page of the kegging forum (i'd put a link in if I knew how), maybe that will help.

Rohan
I don't have drinking problem cept when I can't get drink - Tom Waits
rohanbutler

Postby warra48 » Saturday May 03, 2008 5:31 pm

rohanbutler wrote:I could be wrong but they look like something G&G and few other retailers sell called "tap-a-draft", there is a thread on them on the first page of the kegging forum (i'd put a link in if I knew how), maybe that will help.

Rohan

I think there are several ways of putting in a link, but I copy the "address" of the page I want to link, and then paste that into my post. Seems to work.
Perhaps someone more computer literate than me could explain how to do it better.
warra48

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday May 03, 2008 8:44 pm

Clean Brewer, i-brew down the gold coats have them cheap. Post is only a few bucks and is well worth the investment if you do not want a proper tap system.

http://www.ibrew.com.au/html/equipment/ ... ntset.html
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Clean Brewer » Saturday May 03, 2008 11:46 pm

Thanks guys for the info/links. Does look quite interesting, especially when you can have 48 litres worth of beer conditioning/carbonating(with 8 bottles) and then just put 1 6ltr bottle in my fridge to drink, I guess thats 16 stubbies worth of beer per bottle, so thats 5 cartons sitting in bottles ready to go. sounds cool to me and a bit cheaper than keg set-up which I AM NOT ALLOWED. :? :? :?

Clean Brewer

Postby regan » Sunday May 04, 2008 7:49 am

leave her, its worth it.
beer-o-beer
regan

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday May 04, 2008 8:05 am

regan wrote:leave her, its worth it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Longwood-65 » Sunday May 04, 2008 8:07 am

Yes Tap-a-Draft system, Be aware that you will need about 2 to 3 co2 charges per bottle for dispensing, ( 1 at a time although there is room for 2 bulbs), and because of the rounded bottoms there are harder to store upright and you have to hold them all the way during bottling, finally get the priming caps, the black caps that come with the bottles don't seal that well when bottle priming.
http://www.ibrew.com.au/html/equipment/ ... ntset.html
I have 6 bottles but would prefer about 12 as brewing beer takes less time than to condition and drink and quite often i only have a couple if any to bottle the next brew.

pro's
1. quicker to fill
2. less bottles to wash
3. handy for a single glass
Cons.
1. uses a fair few co2 charges
2. need room in fridge for 2 bottles ( one you a drinking out of and a spare chilling for when that one emptys)
3. still need to do standard bottles/stubbies ( as it is quicker to brew than to condition and drink)
4. would prefer if they had flat bottoms for storage ( standard caps can leak if laying on side bottle priming)
5. carbonation loss changing the tap over.
6. first couple of glasses very heady after changing co2 charges.
7. you end up drinking more ( this could also be a pro)

I was a little concerned about the amount of sediment left in the bottle from lying down in the fridge, but the hose doesn't appear to pick it up.

I am trying to save the money to go to a proper kegging system, with foresight i would not have purchased Tap-a -Draft
a couple of things i don't like about a full kegging system is the high monthly cost of renting the co2 bottle
and the standard keg is only 19 litres ( I brew 23 litre batches still got to bottle wash)

cheers
Ron
Longwood-65

Postby Clean Brewer » Sunday May 04, 2008 9:58 am

#Thanks for that reply. Since I dabble in a little woodwork, I could make up a stand for bottling/storing them upright.
#Does the theory still work that they would take less time to condition since they are in a 6ltr bottle just like being in kegs? Just read the thread that 3mths in a bottle is the same as 1 month in a keg?
#Ive looked at the website and checked out the white caps, $4.50(small price to pay for something a little easier).
Pros
1.Quicker to fill, works for me.
2.Less bottles to wash, works for me.(I find bottle washing therapeutic though, sounds sad, bad a reason to work up a thirst)
3.Can just have 1 glass, works for me.(Especially when you need to drive, and just feel like a snifter, open a tallie, gotta drink a tallie)
Cons
1.Use a quite a few co2 charges.(Can get them cheap enough from wholesaler, no drama, cheap as really)
2.Need room in fridge for 2 bottles.(No problem, hopefully just about to buy 380ltr fridge only)
3.Still need to do standard bottles/stubbies.(I dont mind, its good being able to have different beers in the fridge to drink other than just one and I get great pleasure after bottling 2 batches at once and seeing 60 tallies on the table)(Worth the effort)
4.Prefer flat bottoms for storage.(As I said, no issue making up a stand/s)
5.First couple glasses very heading after changing c02 cartridges(Beer judge on Sunrise reckons that a massive head(2/3 glass) was the correct way to have a beer, I dont agree, w---er)
6.You end up drinking more.(No problem, I love drinking beer, and thats one of the reasons the partner wont let me have a keg setup)

Does it use most of the beer in the bottle other than the sediment? How much is left behind that doesnt get picked up? Racking may be better?

I want to start doing spirits, so that is where my savings will need to be going, I think a setup like Tap-a-draft would suite fine for now.

And I cant leave her, she is precious, despite her objections.

Clean Brewer

Postby Longwood-65 » Sunday May 04, 2008 11:49 am

Clean Brewer wrote:Does it use most of the beer in the bottle other than the sediment? How much is left behind that doesnt get picked up? Racking may be better?

It does a surprizingly good job of getting all the beer out ( maybe leaving 1/8 of a glass left.) and because it is laying flat in the fridge the sediment is spread over the whole length which makes it very very thin, wouldn't worry about racking.

the only other problem you get is that sometimes there is only a couple of glasses left when the co2 charge runs out and it's not worth charging to get that out, pouring the last couple isn't really an option because when you tip the bottle it mixes the sediment into the beer. ( been there done that)
What I usually do in that case is start a fresh bottle then when you need to recharge that bottle just tip the near empty bottle into the now 1/2 full bottle. ( Waste not want not)

Cheers
Ron
Longwood-65

Postby Trough Lolly » Saturday May 31, 2008 10:11 pm

Clean Brewer wrote:And I cant leave her, she is precious, despite her objections.

I know what you mean brother! My wife is a very anti beer drinker (I've tried but she just doesn't want to drink the stuff but looks at it and says the beer looks magnificent in the glass - go figure!). Anyhoo, I started to spend several hours when I used to wash and then rack the beer into all sorts of bottles (thanks to bulk priming). She started to complain about the time it took to fill the bottles and VOILA! I bought some kegs to make her happy! :wink: :lol:

....take your time, it works!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Clean Brewer » Saturday May 31, 2008 11:47 pm

It really shits me off now at the moment as apparently to my partner and 6 year old son, all I do is spend time on the computer and with my beer, not so long ago I was diagnosed with depression and was on tablets for 6 months(not anymore), at the time I didnt want to do anything, hated work, didnt want to get out of bed etc etc. :cry:

The best cure was the tablets to start and then getting back into what I enjoy, so started woodworking again and then Home brewing(love it) and now, all I cop is shit basically, cant win if I was moody, agro, pissed off, grumpy and cant win if im happy, joyeous and doing things I enjoy. :)

Long story short, I dont help out.... :? :roll:

F--k, I work lunch and dinner shifts, take my son to footy 3 times a week, clean and help as much as possible and its still not enough!!!!!!!!!! :x

And now, what are all these bottles doing in the kitchen? They dont belong here..

Kegs are not far away... :D

From now on I do my brews at night when everyones in bed, no dramas...

How ya doing on those beers?

Clean Brewer

Postby ryan » Sunday Jun 01, 2008 6:13 pm

So how much are you paying for the soda chargers?
I`ve tried everywhere for prices, find little difference.
By the way, those 6l. bottles on ebay for $152 secondhand are $125 new. They have a limited life so you wouldn`t know how many times they`d been used, also.
I use the tapadraft system occasionally but wouldn`t go into raptures over it.
ryan

Postby Trough Lolly » Sunday Jun 01, 2008 8:28 pm

Clean Brewer wrote:It really shits me off now at the moment as apparently to my partner and 6 year old son, all I do is spend time on the computer and with my beer, not so long ago I was diagnosed with depression and was on tablets for 6 months(not anymore), at the time I didnt want to do anything, hated work, didnt want to get out of bed etc etc. :cry:
<snip>

...at the risk of drifting further off topic, the big problem was that I had found a hobby that gave me immense satisfaction and she was still without a hobby to call her own. On top of that, the problem with brewing was that it was a hobby that "only one person and not the family benefits from" and jeez, didn't that make me feel good...!
:evil:
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Clean Brewer » Sunday Jun 01, 2008 9:13 pm

Trough Lolly wrote:...at the risk of drifting further off topic, the big problem was that I had found a hobby that gave me immense satisfaction and she was still without a hobby to call her own. On top of that, the problem with brewing was that it was a hobby that "only one person and not the family benefits from" and jeez, didn't that make me feel good...!

Maybe thats what the problem is here, her hobby is smoking cigarettes and Facebook... And doing everything????????????? :?

ryan wrote:By the way, those 6l. bottles on ebay for $152 secondhand are $125 new. They have a limited life so you wouldn`t know how many times they`d been used, also.
I use the tapadraft system occasionally but wouldn`t go into raptures over it.

The bottles are sold now anyway, they sold for $152.50 for 8 of them(ibrew price is $115 for 1 plus the bits), I didnt take it any further as I will be putting that money towards a proper keg system.. :)

Clean Brewer

Postby ryan » Monday Jun 02, 2008 6:52 am

Cleanbrewer, you mentioned you can get soda chargers "cheap as" from a wholesaler?
What`s his prices like for those please?
ryan

Postby ryan » Monday Jun 02, 2008 10:27 am

Clean Brewer wrote:
The bottles are sold now anyway, they sold for $152.50 for 8 of them(ibrew price is $115 for 1 plus the bits),

New price each is $15, which would be $120 for 8.
2nd. hand, about $10 maybe, makes them worth $80 tops.
Seeing as he got them for $152, he paid almost double what they`re worth. :shock:
{another point about buying them used is the distributor advises not to refill them more than x {can`t remember}times cause they weaken under stress.}
There was a pic. on AHB a while back of one that exploded in someones fridge :shock:
Jesus, what a mess :D
ryan

Postby Clean Brewer » Monday Jun 02, 2008 10:53 am

Sorry Ryan,

I stand corrected, I think I was just looking at the complete package price with the 8 bottles, apparently they had only been used once. I think thats the reason I didnt buy them(3 bottles, 18 ltrs = $45 and 1 keg, 19ltrs = $65).. Plus I had to pick them up, so yeh. :)

On the price of co2 chargers, my local BIDVEST(wholesaler) they are $5.13 per 10 pack... 8)

Clean Brewer

Postby ryan » Monday Jun 02, 2008 12:02 pm

Clean Brewer wrote:
On the price of co2 chargers, my local BIDVEST(wholesaler) they are $5.13 per 10 pack... 8)

That is probably the best price ever!
I could get them from Bidvest for $7.22 but by the time I add fuel and tollgate to pick them up, I might as well stay with what I`m paying {$9 for 10}
Thanks anyway :)
ryan

Postby Clean Brewer » Monday Jun 02, 2008 12:48 pm

Shit mate, that's nearly double the price.. Could probably still post them to you for much cheaper...

Clean Brewer

Next

Return to Kegging