stiff regulator

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

stiff regulator

Postby regan » Tuesday May 13, 2008 1:17 pm

11 months ago when my regulator arived i could adjust the pressure using my only my finger tips, a few months later i had to upgrade to a screw driver and last time vice grips had used to turn the pressure back down after gasing up a keg. a squirt of wd40 on the screw and a bit of turning back and fourth hasnt eased the situation.

any ideas guys?
beer-o-beer
regan

Re: stiff regulator

Postby Paul » Tuesday May 13, 2008 4:29 pm

On my reg I can unscrew the adjusting setscrew all the way out. If yours can be removed give it a buff on a wire wheel to clean it up.

Once its set to pouring pressure it doesnt need to be adjusted anyway.
Paul

Postby rwh » Tuesday May 13, 2008 4:48 pm

Or a wire brush I suppose? And I'd be guessing graphite would be a better lubricant for something like that, but it's just a guess. Make sure you don't have any oil left before you add it tho or you'll get a sticky mess.
w00t!
rwh

Postby wm460 » Tuesday May 13, 2008 6:46 pm

Don't know about CO2 but oil a no-no with oxygen.
Cheers,
Bob.
wm460

Postby scanman » Wednesday May 14, 2008 10:16 am

I just purchased my first keg system, and the reg I got has stickers all over it saying Do Not Oil. From what I understand about these htings, you should not lubricate them. When we blow them or they get stuck on the regs used at my work place, the fitters just take them, off, chuck them and put a new one off. Knowing them, if you could lube it, they would, as its less work.
Who ever said nothing was impossible, never tried to slam a revolving door....
scanman

Postby regan » Wednesday May 14, 2008 1:52 pm

oil free now. i dont have grafite around but its one of those things i have been meaning to get.

anyhow, i pulled it to peices and found high parts of the thread pushed to the lower parts. wire buff did 2 parts of bugger all. i ended up using a combination of a new hacksaw blade and a razor with sand paper over it, then sat there working the thread for a good 10 minutes. i still need the screw driver to turn it, but i dont have to strain now... cheep chineese crap :evil:

thanks all for your advice.
beer-o-beer
regan

Postby rwh » Wednesday May 14, 2008 2:04 pm

Sounds like it might have been cross threaded?
w00t!
rwh

Postby regan » Thursday May 15, 2008 3:24 am

if you can work out how to cross threads with a bolt 75% in to the nut then you're a better man then me. i struggled to turn it down from a high pressure meaning i was unscrewing it from a fair way in.

my guess is the bolt manufacturer did not cut the bolt with the die entirely (or however they mass produce and finish bolts these days) resulting in a few small barbs remaining on the low parts causing my friction. next question is why havent i had this problem before while carbonating other kegs? my guess is that i am still running the unit in, the seals have now sofened and it takes a bit more of a clearence from the bolt to give the clearence around the rubbers. so i have never had a need to screw it in so far before and why i have never had so much of a problem bringing it back out. i stand by my chinese crap comment!
beer-o-beer
regan

Postby rwh » Thursday May 15, 2008 10:40 am

;) :lol:
w00t!
rwh

Postby PenroD » Friday May 16, 2008 6:02 pm

It sounds like the threads have galled. If you can access it with a Die and Tap, should fix the tightness problem no worrys.
PenroD

Return to Kegging