Temp problems

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Temp problems

Postby Prawned » Friday May 16, 2008 7:48 pm

Alright, so i have been getting the temp inside my keg freezer via the air temp inside it (bad idea i know) but finally have the temp probe in a liquid. Before i done this i had to set the freezer to 3degrees to get my tap to pour without half a glass of head.. now i want to set it to atleast 8 degrees to get a decent temp beer but all i get is head.. will this be because the keg that is in there has been at 3 degrees for about 2 weeks then coming up to 8 its just spewing all the co2 out of the beer as i pour? i cant stand my beer having no flavour! ice cold... no thank you!
Prawned

Re: Temp problems

Postby rwh » Saturday May 17, 2008 4:14 pm

Sounds like it's overcarbonated. Bring it up to the temperature you want it, disconnect the gas, and burp it. Wait a while then connect your gas and try to pour. If you still get head, burp again, etc. Also think about reducing your pouring pressure. What do you have it on now?
w00t!
rwh

Postby Prawned » Sunday May 18, 2008 12:20 pm

usually have the pressure set to about 8psi.. as soon as i keg a beer it goes into the freezer and sits on that pressure for a week. Finnally finished the head keg off last night, hopefully the other 2 in there arnt so highly carbed.. trying to raise the temp upto 8ish degrees now.. really get tired of bland flavorless 2degree beer! last night i was just pouring 2 pints and leaving one to warm while i drank the other one :D
Prawned

Postby KEG » Sunday May 18, 2008 8:44 pm

rwh wrote:If you still get head, burp again

the head joke's been thrashed to death, but this still got a giggle :lol:
KEG

Return to Kegging