Gassing problems..??

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Gassing problems..??

Postby craigs1978 » Tuesday May 20, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi all, this is my first post and after reading some of your posts, you've inspired me to make a post.
Well I have brewed before, many moons ago. Since coming out of the wood works again I have bought a keg setup with gas etc.
I put my first batch down (9 days) of brewcraft and kegged it, suggested gas was 230KPa in the fridge for two days (48 hours). Which was done. Pouring pressure 50-70KPa.
First glass was a lot of head, so was the second. I ended up pouring a few beers by overflowing the head until the desired head was achieved. (AND STILL DOING THIS) :x which is obviously wasting beer. Then I turned the gas down, same problem. Turned the gas off, poured a little better, but obviously much slower. I have turned the gas up slightly and I have since worked out that half the problem is when I hit the trigger (handle) on the gun it spits, therefore creating turbulence, therefore more head. Any suggestions?

I am not to worried about wasting this keg, as the beer kit came with the fermenter. But the next one I spent a bit more on ingredients and don't want a repeat.

Lastly, after 10-15 schooners the beer is still cloudy. I put finnings in with the yeast but not sure how to clear it???

Thanks very much for any help.
craigs1978

Re: Gassing problems..??

Postby rwh » Tuesday May 20, 2008 8:13 pm

Your beer is overcarbonated. Turn off the gas and burp the keg every few hours for a day or so, then reconnect and try pouring again. 230kpa sounds like it's too high for carbonation. Again, read these articles (free reg required):

Balancing a Draught System
Beginners Guide to Kegging

I find my beers clear after a week or two in the fridge.

The "spitting" that you're getting from the gun is from gas in the beer line. This is caused by gas coming out of solution in the line, which is probably a symptom of carbonating at 230kpa and then serving at 50-70kpa. I generally carbonate my kegs at pouring pressure. It takes a bit longer (4-5 days, say) but you know that you're never going to overcarbonate.
w00t!
rwh

Postby lethaldog » Wednesday May 21, 2008 6:45 pm

I carbonate at 50psi/350kpa for 1 day and am yet to have one go wrong :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby MattyR » Wednesday Jun 25, 2008 6:23 pm

I've been doin it same as you.But when dispensing turn the gas down to about 40kpa.oh yeah and pour into a jug,that gives you more time to get it right and its not as if you wont drink it.ALso flick the tap to full on straight away and the right tilt is also a help.Took me a while but eventually got it.Practice makes perfect. :)
MattyR

Postby Jak » Saturday Jul 19, 2008 7:54 pm

I had the same problem. I rang my brother-in-law and asked him. He is a brewing guru (IMO). He suggested pretty much what RWH said.

I have done this but it has taken two weeks. I'm now running about 14psi through a balanced system (advice from the guru) and tonight I've had success. I'm sitting back enjoying a very nice glass of beer carbonated just right and pouring beautifully.

This is my first brew in the keg and I've got to say life is grand!!!!

Lethaldog - 50 psi for one day and then what? (just interested to know)

cheers
Jak
Jak - If you have nothing constructive to say, why say anything at all
Jak

Postby lethaldog » Monday Jul 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Then i drop it back down to pouring preasure which is 7-8 psi and start pouring :wink: :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby rwh » Monday Jul 28, 2008 12:57 pm

lethaldog wrote:Then i drop it back down to pouring preasure which is 7-8 psi and start pouring :wink: :lol:

You start pouring after burping the keg, I suppose. ;)
w00t!
rwh

Postby lethaldog » Monday Jul 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Ahh yeah thats how you would get it down to pouring preasure ( should have added that )
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Return to Kegging