Hose length for twin tap off 1 keg.

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Hose length for twin tap off 1 keg.

Postby Sack » Tuesday Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Hey, I have set up a 50L keg in a fridge under a bar. i have split the beer hose into 2 so i can run 2 taps feeding off the one keg. I've had trouble with the length of the hosing? how long does it have to be and is it different because i have 2 taps off 1 keg?
Sack

Re: Hose length for twin tap off 1 keg.

Postby Kevnlis » Tuesday Jun 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Depends, do you take beer from both taps at the same time? If not then it makes no difference, you can calculate the amount of line needed as if it were a single tap and run that much line for each tap. If yes then you need to let us now exactly how the lines are run.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Sack » Thursday Jun 12, 2008 7:32 am

I will be running both taps at the smae time, do the lines have to be shorter in this case?
Kevnlis wrote:Depends, do you take beer from both taps at the same time? If not then it makes no difference, you can calculate the amount of line needed as if it were a single tap and run that much line for each tap. If yes then you need to let us now exactly how the lines are run.
Sack

Postby Sack » Thursday Jun 12, 2008 7:35 am

I'll be runnning 2 taps off the one keg. I have a single hose from the keg that splits into a "T" and the 2 hoses connect to the 2 taps on the one tower.
Sack

Postby Boonie » Thursday Jun 12, 2008 7:39 am

I'd go 2 x 2 Metre lengths minimum.

I do not think it would make much of a difference. If you are pouring 2 beer simultaneously then the flow might be slower.

I take it it is split half way through the line?

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Jun 12, 2008 8:13 am

No they will need to be longer, not shorter...

Depending on the amount of line before the "T" I would start at 5M per line between each tap and the "T" (you can always cut more off, bit harder to add on).
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Longwood-65 » Thursday Jun 12, 2008 1:29 pm

How far apart are the taps??

Is it like 1 tap in the Lounge room, and the other in the bedroom.
Or are both along side each other.

Be sort of hard to give advise with out knowing
Longwood-65

Postby gregb » Thursday Jun 12, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm wondering if the 'T' will cause turbulence in the line, and therefore excessive foaming.

Anyone actually done this?

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday Jun 12, 2008 1:51 pm

gregb wrote:I'm wondering if the 'T' will cause turbulence in the line, and therefore excessive foaming.

Anyone actually done this?

Cheers,
Greg

I had the same thought, but if there is a long enough line between the "T" and the tap it should be fine. Like in the case of those resistive gates:

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/resistivegate.php
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby pixelboy » Thursday Jun 12, 2008 1:56 pm

Longwood-65 wrote:How far apart are the taps??

Is it like 1 tap in the Lounge room, and the other in the bedroom.

Awesome.. a beer tap in yer bedroom.. rock on!! :lol:
pixelboy

Postby Boonie » Thursday Jun 12, 2008 7:53 pm

Kevnlis wrote:No they will need to be longer, not shorter...

Depending on the amount of line before the "T" I would start at 5M per line between each tap and the "T" (you can always cut more off, bit harder to add on).

Shit sorry........memory not as good as it used to be........I was thinking I had four metres and cut it in half.....I actually asked for 4 metres per tap at my local HBS and they were "customer friendly" with their measurements and I have 5 metre lines on each tap....but i have seperate kegs.

Apologies for the error.....bit worried now given you guys told me this in Jan :oops:
5 Metre Quote

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby Sack » Friday Jun 13, 2008 2:10 pm

The taps are right next to eachother... a single hose comes out of the cupler then divides into 2 hoses with a "T". The 2 taps are on the same stainless steel dispenser coming out of the bar. Only about 5 inches apart.
Sack

Postby scanman » Saturday Jun 14, 2008 9:49 am

Sorry but I have to ask. What is the point of running one keg off two taps???? Is this so you can pull two schooner off the bar faster or something? Just seems a bit pointless to me, thats all.
Who ever said nothing was impossible, never tried to slam a revolving door....
scanman

Postby regan » Saturday Jun 14, 2008 11:59 am

agreed. its about as pointless as a bar that i promptly left which had a tripple font with calton draught, blonde and then carlton draught again.

i would be investing in a second (or 4th) keg to run multiple styles but in the mean time only worrying about getting one tap shooting.
beer-o-beer
regan

Postby Boonie » Saturday Jun 14, 2008 2:18 pm

I reckon he only has room for 1 keg in the fridge :?: and has 2 fonts......so rather than have 1 idle, he's decided to have both connected.

It's a 50 Litre Job in a fridge under a bar, so IMO there would not be enough room....unless you build a bigger bar and add another fridge/keg :D

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby scanman » Sunday Jun 15, 2008 10:13 am

Still, seems pointless for a home bar to me. Fair enough in a proper commercial bar, where you have the same beer through a couple of taps, so multiple bar staf can pull the same brand beer at the same time for multile customers. But for a home bar?? Just doesn't make sense to bother.
Who ever said nothing was impossible, never tried to slam a revolving door....
scanman

Postby Kevnlis » Sunday Jun 15, 2008 5:09 pm

I would suggest you use at least 2-3 metres of line between the keg and the "T" and 4-5 metres between the "T" and each tap. If you are trying to do it cheap, and not using cobra/valpar/flexmaster (5mm) line then add a metre to each of those lengths. ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Sack » Monday Jun 16, 2008 10:32 am

I got all the parts from a friend who owns a pub, so all i have is commercial parts. I've just had a 5m long granite bar installed in my rumpas room. I'm not sure about your parties, but with the one's we have there'll be multiple people using these taps . I haven't come on here to ask people what would be the correct setup, I've simply ask a how long the hosing has to be for this particular setup.

scanman wrote:Still, seems pointless for a home bar to me. Fair enough in a proper commercial bar, where you have the same beer through a couple of taps, so multiple bar staf can pull the same brand beer at the same time for multile customers. But for a home bar?? Just doesn't make sense to bother.
Sack

Postby Boonie » Monday Jun 16, 2008 12:19 pm

Sack wrote:I got all the parts from a friend who owns a pub, so all i have is commercial parts. I've just had a 5m long granite bar installed in my rumpas room.

I wish I had a friend like that.

I wish I had a Granite bar...........oh and a Rumpus Room 8)

I'd go with Kev's lengths......actually I just had a thought.....would you be better to have the join as close to the beginning, right at the very start of where the beer line is attached then have 4 Metres each from there.

I reckon I'd try one or the other first...if it is too frothy, try the other way.

Whilst we are sort of on the subject of Frothy beer from the tap, with my Kegs, I was having trouble with Frothy Beer in my Blacks especially.

So what I did was turn up the gas to 100+ instead of the normal 80 and the Beer poured with less head(I have 5 metre lines on my kegs). I think it was rwh who said on another thread that the bubbles in the line can cause excessive head....ooer sounds a bit rude :lol:

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby Kevnlis » Monday Jun 16, 2008 12:25 pm

The closer to the keg the "T" is the better, but it also means you have to put more line between the "T" and the taps, I thought my measurements were a good balance. I of course can not test it, but in theory it should be alright. ;)

Yes Boonie, my guess is that you did not have enugh pouring pressure to hold the beer up against gravity, so it fell back into the lines and left a gas bubble which causes excess head. An easy way to overcome that is to just tap the first second or so of beer into a "shit" bucket, that is what I do, perfect pour every time at 120 kpa! :D
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Return to Kegging