Leaking Keg

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Leaking Keg

Postby scanman » Monday Jul 07, 2008 8:34 pm

Hello.
Just recently discovered my keg, which is a reco keg has a slight leak coming from it. This is a bit strange, as I have put one brew through it and it did not leak at all for a good month under pressure.
After drinking the contents i did the normal, cleaned the keg with keg cleaner, sanatised it and filled it up with a lager I had done. Now it seems it has a slow leak, and I am loosing beer easch day, probably a small puddle the same size as the keg, so not a lot.
mY question is, how can I rack this beer back into a fermenter without letting to much oxygen back into the brew??
Also, the leak appears to be coming form the plastic base part where it meets the stainless steel of the keg. It has not been dropped at all, so I am a bit bewildered how this has started to leak. Once I get the beer back out, is there anyway to repair this leak???
Who ever said nothing was impossible, never tried to slam a revolving door....
scanman

Re: Leaking Keg

Postby regan » Tuesday Jul 08, 2008 4:57 am

drink up and ring your keg supplyer explaining your problem and if they dont offer you a replacement threaten to discolose the companys name on here
beer-o-beer
regan

Re: Leaking Keg

Postby scanman » Tuesday Jul 08, 2008 7:48 am

Had a good look at the keg last night, and it seems to have actually leaked from the outlet post. So I took it out and discovered the o-ring around the top pf the long dipstick was stuffed. So its of today to get another o-ring from the brew shop and replace it.
I managed to empty the keg as well. I discovered the racking tube I have fits nicely into the tap on the keg fridge. So I hooked the keg up to the gas and tap, set it at pouring pressure and put the tube into a cleam sanatised fermenter and drained it back into it. Worked well. I had some bubbles come out, but I would assume these were caused by the CO2 anyway.

What amazed me was the fact the keg leaked from the top as it did, as it was not under any gas pressure and it was burped each day. The beer was not even carbonated, but somehow I would think the gas pressure coming out the beer still, after it was racked and cold conditioned, still managed to make some of the beer go all the way up the dip tube and leak out.

Quick question added, does anyone put thread tap on the threads of the posts where they screw on? Mine does not have any, which I thought woudl help keep the whole thing sealed, but maybe there is a reason for this?
Who ever said nothing was impossible, never tried to slam a revolving door....
scanman

Return to Kegging