Reusing 50lt CUB Kegs

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Reusing 50lt CUB Kegs

Postby Danthekegger » Sunday Jul 27, 2008 12:09 pm

Hey all..
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I could not find any threads.

Does anyone know how to refill CUB kegs?? I have been using 19lt cornelius kegs for years but I would like to use the bigger 50lt.

Cheers Dan
Danthekegger

Re: Reusing 50lt CUB Kegs

Postby warra48 » Sunday Jul 27, 2008 12:59 pm

Unless you are Mr CUB, how can one legally acquire and refill CUB 50 litre kegs?
warra48

Postby Chris » Sunday Jul 27, 2008 8:52 pm

"Legally" is a relative term.

Is it illegal if you are never caught? I sure hope so... :D

Google search and you will find Dan. Or get in contact with the Westgate brewers down in Melbourne. That is where I learnt how to convert (legally aquired) CUB kegs.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby rwh » Monday Jul 28, 2008 12:56 pm

It's actually possible to legally acquire this style of keg, though I believe that Lion Nathan and CUB don't ever release any of theirs, some other breweries do. The key is to find one that has had the brewery's name stamped out as this indicates it's legally resellable.

What you need in order to use it is a keg coupler. This allows you to attach gas and beer lines to the keg though the ball valve thing at the top. Cleaning is done chemically, using oxyper or similar oxygen based bleach. You can do this by pumping it in from another keg using CO2 to do the pumping. Then drain and rinse. A good soak of this should get virtually anything out of the keg and sanitise it at the same time.

If you're not satisfied with pumping, it's actually possible to remove the "spear" from the middle and refill/clean through the resulting hole. It's relatively fiddly though. There are instructions on AHB somewhere from memory.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Biernut » Saturday Aug 02, 2008 2:03 pm

It seems the big breweries are a tough nut to crack. Tried to get corny kegs filled by Cascade in Hobart a few years ago. Not on was the reply. Oh! why not I asked, well we only fill our own kegs on exchange was the answer, Well how do I get your kegs on exchange I asked. You have to open up an account I was told. Ok I can do that what details do you want I said. Do you have a Hotel, Club or Restaurant. No I replied but I have a lot of thirsty blokes living down my way. Sorry can't help you said the sweet young thing behind the sales counter with a look like "beat it smart arse." Can't argue with that logic so I beat a hasty retreat and stepped up HB operations. The micro breweries might be more obliging but I never tried them.
Biernut

Postby gregb » Saturday Aug 02, 2008 4:25 pm

Biernut wrote: Do you have a Hotel, Club or Restaurant. No I replied ... Sorry can't help ...

That could be more to do with licensing they have a wholesale license, but you need a retail on license or something. No excuse for her not to explain it for you though.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Danthekegger » Tuesday Aug 12, 2008 7:30 pm

Thank for the advice.. i think..
Anyways i have cracked the nut & have no probs now with the clean & fill side of it.
NEW PROB, i'll need to burp it???
Danthekegger

Return to Kegging