Newbie Advice needed.

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Newbie Advice needed.

Postby AleFan » Friday Sep 26, 2008 11:37 pm

Hi, I recently began to brew 5 gallons of Coopers Bitter, I plan to place the beer in a keg when it gets to the right Gravity. I was wondering what I need to do when I put the beer in to the keg? The instructions say nothing about it. Do I need to add sugar? (I only wish for a slight fizz, but barely any). If so, how much sugar? And how long will I have to leave it?? Any help would be fantastic,

Many thanks,

H.
AleFan

Re: Newbie Advice needed.

Postby KEG » Saturday Sep 27, 2008 10:50 am

what equipment do you have with the keg? got CO2, gas lines, fittings etc? because you could just gas it. sit it at 8-10 PSI for a week or two, and it'll get a low amount of fizz. you can speed this up by chilling it, increasing the pressure to ~30PSI, lying it on it's side, and rocking it back and forth with your foot... but with the amount of carbonation you want, i wouldn't go beyond about 30 seconds of rocking it.

if you want to let it prime naturally in the keg, use about 120g of sugar and you should be happy... but you'll still need gas to dispense it.
KEG

Postby Chris » Sunday Sep 28, 2008 10:40 am

And welcome to the forum too, AleFan.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby AleFan » Friday Oct 03, 2008 12:52 am

Hi chaps, thanks for the replies! :D And yeah I was planning to let it the fizz form naturally in the keg as stated, I only want a few bubbles, just off still. I've got a King Keg with a top tap, that's it, no gas or lines. And 120 grams you say, is that of a particular sugar type?

Again, many thanks,

H.
AleFan

Postby Chris » Saturday Oct 04, 2008 6:20 pm

120g of dextrose is your best bet.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby Lance » Tuesday Oct 07, 2008 10:00 am

I chill mine for 24 hours and then gas for 24 hours at 300kpa. I have never had under or over gassed beer. A bit more accurate than rocking it.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
Lance

Return to Kegging