Carbonation and Maturing time in keg

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Carbonation and Maturing time in keg

Postby MR » Monday Oct 13, 2008 7:19 pm

Hi

Just started using kegs. I brewed a ND brew lager with WLP800 liquid yeast, everything seems to have gone well took around 6 weeks at 11deg and them racked for a week at 11deg then kegged. Question is what is a suitable maturing time before drinking, I use to leave the bottles 3 months but I understand it is meant to mature faster in the keg. In regards to the carbonation, I had it at 230kpa for 53 hours and back to 70kpa for dispensing, is this classed a suitable or am I off track. Overall everything seems ok but wanted some expert opinions. Cheers
MR

Re: Carbonation and Maturing time in keg

Postby Chris » Monday Oct 13, 2008 8:38 pm

6 weeks in primary? Was this a high alcohol beer?

And as far as maturation time goes, a week or two seems to be ok. A month is ideal.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby MR » Tuesday Oct 14, 2008 5:52 am

Thanks for the info, was not a hi alcohol beer but it did seem to take a good 4 weeks to stop fermenting I had just left it a little longer to be sure as previous brews were still ferementing in the bottle and fizzing up. What would be the recommended fermentation time?
MR

Postby Boonie » Tuesday Oct 14, 2008 11:30 am

MR wrote:Thanks for the info, was not a hi alcohol beer but it did seem to take a good 4 weeks to stop fermenting I had just left it a little longer to be sure as previous brews were still ferementing in the bottle and fizzing up. What would be the recommended fermentation time?

Check with the Hydrometer if you are unsure if it is finished....when the same FG for 2 days, keg/bottle/rack whatever takes your fancy.

MR wrote: In regards to the carbonation, I had it at 230kpa for 53 hours and back to 70kpa for dispensing, is this classed a suitable or am I off track. Overall everything seems ok but wanted some expert opinions. Cheers

I normally go 230 for 48 hours if I am being lazy or do the Rock and rollong of the keg method that Ross :?: posted, which I then leave for a couple of hours and she's right to go.

With a Lager, they are better in a week IMO, but sometimes I drink before it is ready, and you can tell when you taste it.

They are ready alot faster than bottles as there is no secondary ferment from the bottle sugar.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby Shaun » Thursday Oct 23, 2008 5:20 pm

No time drink as soon as cold. Mine get 15 minutes to settle from gassing.
Shaun

Return to Kegging