LEFTOVERS !!

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

LEFTOVERS !!

Postby Gym_ » Tuesday Dec 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Okies.. what do you boyz do about leftovers ..
Ok my lager tins i use make up 23 litters,,
a Keg hold 18 to 19 litters
what the smeg ya do with the 4 to 5 litters left over ?
thinking of buying a little 10 litter keg to put the left overs of sevral ferments in but thats 140 bills just for the little 10 litter job
other then that i spoz i can just pour the left overs into a 19 litter as im geting 4 of them, any iders boyz and girls ?,,

Gym_
beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
Gym_

Re: LEFTOVERS !!

Postby Longwood-65 » Tuesday Dec 02, 2008 8:49 pm

Bottle it for take aways, presents etc.

Not many BYO resturants like it when you walk in with a keg.

Cheers
Ron
Longwood-65

Postby Hopmeister » Wednesday Dec 03, 2008 11:20 am

Yep, I bottle my leftovers, if there's any.
Hopmeister

Postby timmy » Wednesday Dec 03, 2008 12:15 pm

Coming up to Christmas, I've been filling up a few 1.25 or 2L softie bottles with the keg leftovers (actually I bottle first then keg the rest).....

Makes things much easier if you're going away and don't want to feel obliged to bring the bottles back.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Dec 03, 2008 2:22 pm

Add less water...... :roll:

And i bottle from the tap if i am going somewhere a keg is either unwelcome or overkill.

*Bottling sucks balls

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. sorry mods, still on instant coffee.....
Last edited by drsmurto on Wednesday Dec 03, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drsmurto

Postby Clean Brewer » Wednesday Dec 03, 2008 2:53 pm

Hello all,

I just filled my first 2 kegs 2 weeks ago and filled them up just below the gas in tube, I had a few tallies left in the cubes but all my capping gear etc was at work so I couldnt cap them, oh well, everything is at home now.. Its a good idea to bottle a few first, then youve got beer to take with you if ya go somewhere..

A mate on another Forum, he has a Keg dedicated to the excess he has after filling a keg, so what ever doesnt fit in the first keg just goes in this other one, the Beer in it is named "BITS"... I tasted this "BITS" beer and it was still pretty good, he usually has about 10 kegs worth of beer so there is a good mix of styles in the "BITS" keg..

Worth a try if you have a spare keg...(just uses a 19ltr corny)
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby Tipsy » Wednesday Dec 03, 2008 5:44 pm

There's nothing worse than having to bottle 2 or 3 bottles (well maybe 30 :roll: )
I just make my brews so I have 19lts to keg
Tipsy

Postby gregb » Wednesday Dec 03, 2008 5:45 pm

drsmurto wrote:... a keg is ... overkill.

p.s. sorry mods, still on instant coffee.....

:lol: Where is a keg overkill? I've warned you before about that sort of talk...

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Dec 04, 2008 9:08 am

Back on the real coffee. Longest 7 days of my life. And whilst way off topic, coffee bags do not mean its real coffee. Heathens.

Apparently when you turn up to a 30th party that is catered for with wine/champers and you plonk a keg of stout in the middle of the room stopping the conversation. Host rolled her eyes as did most women in the room, the blokes were nodding in appreciation....

The other place it isnt practical is at the beach house where there is no room to keep the keg chilled for 3 days and i dont want to bring a gas bottle. So i bottle a dozen tallies or so.

I aim for 20-21L into the fermenter which allows me a few samples along the way and allows for a few losses when transferring - primary - secondary - keg.

If you drop your volume down from 23 to 20L when making up kit you will get more flavour which can only be a good thing.
drsmurto

Postby Biernut » Thursday Dec 04, 2008 1:54 pm

I bottle my left overs and drink them months down the track to see how they have appreciated. Putting leftovers into what is called a mongrel keg is sacrilege.
Biernut

Postby Gym_ » Thursday Dec 04, 2008 2:48 pm

Yer thanks boyz when santa brings me my keg kit for Xmas ( yah santa ) i think ill just put the left overs in anuther keg as im geting 4 of them im sure i can spear one for bits .. if i never have to clean, wash, rinse, steralize, prime, cap and store anuther bottle for the reast of my life it will be to bloody soon,,, left over keg it is ..
beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
Gym_

Return to Kegging