anyone used a hop ball(dry hopping)

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

anyone used a hop ball(dry hopping)

Postby bangers » Monday Dec 15, 2008 4:31 am

I usually rack my beer into secondary fermenter/gerry can,drop my required amont of hops into it and leave it for about 3 to 4 days then rack into my keg.I've seen on Craftbrewer's site they have a product called a hop ball,just wanted to know the following ,is this just used to dry hop when using a keg to save racking into a secondary keg or does this sit inside the keg while in use to produce extra hop flavours and if so what are the benifets of using such an item or is it just another gizmo?
bangers

Re: anyone used a hop ball(dry hopping)

Postby Biernut » Monday Dec 15, 2008 9:47 am

Yep I cut off a piece of cotton stockingnette boil it in a pot for 10 minutes put a knot in one end, fill it with 10gr. of pellets of your choice tie a knot in the other end, throw in racking keg for 7 days, filter into the serving keg, gas er up and Robert's your fathers brother.

Cheers. :)
Biernut

Postby drsmurto » Monday Dec 15, 2008 9:56 am

I have several hopballs (aka tea balls) that i use to dry hop in the keg or secondary.

If i use it in secondary i can then rack into the keg and leave the dry hops behind.

If i dry hop in the keg then its stuck there till the keg runs dry!

I used to use stockings but bought 6 tea balls recently so use them. The only downfall with the tea balls is the little clip isnt stainless steel and starts to rust. Doesnt bother me, i figure i could always use a bit more iron in the diet...... :lol:
drsmurto

Postby lethaldog » Wednesday Jan 21, 2009 10:19 am

I use the hop balls and find them very good, only thing to watch is the amount you put in the cos of expansion :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Return to Kegging