WHAT THE ??

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

WHAT THE ??

Postby Gym_ » Friday Dec 19, 2008 10:02 am

Ok well 1st I have to say I have read everything on these forums and everything I can find on the net about forced carbonation including YouTube so I thought I’d be right to go,, BUT !!
Check this out..
I put down 2 kegs of really nice larger and forced carbonated one of them got nothing but froth.. so disconnected it and burped it every few hrs to release some of the gas still nothing but froth.. reduced the pouring PSI bit by bit till it go so low it won’t even go thought the lines ( about 2m ) ..
Gotten relay agro and hooked up my other keg dead flat tried pouring it everywhere from 0 to 10kpa and still get nothing but froth..
This has spun me out so much I have kept checking ever 10 min that the lines are the right way around and not just blowing the froth off the top of the keg but nope its fine.. So please HELP!!! LOL
I want a beer with dinner tonight and can’t seem to get this stupid thing working …
WTF is going on when a UN- CARBD keg still blows froth at 2kpa???
beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
Gym_

Re: WHAT THE ??

Postby drsmurto » Friday Dec 19, 2008 10:37 am

2nd keg (not carbed) pouring froth tells me air is getting into your lines somewhere.

Make a dilute solution of soap and water and spray over every join including the taps. Bubbles will form where you have a leak.

The first keg may be overcarbed. If this is the case then it takes days to reduce the carb, not a few hours. Altho you can knock CO2 out of solution by rocking the shite out of your keg releasing the pressure every few mins but i doubt that will do much for your beer.
drsmurto

Postby Gym_ » Friday Dec 19, 2008 12:40 pm

I sprayed soap water all over the joint couldn’t see nothing but defiantly though you were right about the air getting in so I went and bought new seals for the post and spear and whoa I now have beer instead of ice-cream ..lol
Cheers Gym_
Gym_

Postby Gym_ » Friday Dec 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Bugger fixed it for about 10 min now its doing it again,, ill have to buy another connector see if that fix’s it tomorrow ...

Its Hot.... Flat.... frothy ... i put to much suger in so it tast like paint thinnners .. but im drinking it anyway.. :mrgreen: after about 3 glasses it tast just like champaine,,,lol
Gym_
Gym_

Postby Tipsy » Friday Dec 19, 2008 9:22 pm

Gym_ wrote:... i put to much suger in so it tast like paint thinnners .. but im drinking it anyway.. :mrgreen: after about 3 glasses it tast just like champaine,,,lol
Gym_

That's the spirit :D
Tipsy

Postby Trough Lolly » Monday Dec 22, 2008 10:17 am

How long is your beer line? Apart from having to balance the beer line, I had a similar problem and it was due to the beer line actually touching the chill plate at the back of the fridge - it partially froze the beer in the hose and caused the beer to become turbulent and turn to froth.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Shaun » Thursday Jan 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Sounds like your system is not balanced how long and what diameter are your beers lines? Rule of thumb 2m for 4mm line and 3m for 5mm line. How long is your beer line?

Undercarbed beer can also pour foam so testing with a flat keg does not prove much.

Another problem could be temp change at the tap. If your tap is hot and your beer cold, the beer will release CO2 on coming into contact with the warm tap, but it will only pour foam while the tap is hot once the beer cools the tap it will pour fine until the tap warms up again. The solution to this is to deify the rules of pouring a beer. Instead of turning the tap on fully turn it on very slowly until just a dribble of beer is coming out. let it run until the tap cools then turn the tap of and pour as normal.
Shaun

Postby Gym_ » Friday Jan 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Nar.. Turned out to be a shitty disconnect.. Brand new mind you.. I replaced all the O rings and the posts and it was still playing up so then I replaced the liquid disconnect and Bingo Robert is your mothers brother..
Gym_

Return to Kegging