The little things to add to a new system?

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

The little things to add to a new system?

Postby chadjaja » Tuesday Dec 23, 2008 4:24 pm

OK my keg system has been dispatched from kegsonline.com.au

I got the two keg system with reg, ball locks, beer/gas line, easy pour tap, clamps and all new seals, poppets and pressure tested for $299. :D

I'm going to get all my parts from craftbrewer and would like some advice. Im intending on doing a chest freezer conversion with 3 or maybe 4 taps depending on the freezer I get. I'll need a line splitter of some sort but not the more expensive manifold ones. Im happy to wait a week to drink my beer so it will carb up at drinking pressure so all kegs can stay on the same line I reckon and not need to be isolated. Trying to figure out the best parts to do this. There is the steel T bar option or the plastic dual splitter option as well.

What extra pieces should I look at getting that are often overlooked??

Are the taps ends a good idea? Do you all have a non return valve to protect your regulator? More line, extra clamps etc etc And what should I look for in a racking tube from the fermenter to keg? Just a standard beer line?

Still not sure what size beer line I need to get yet? I guess length dictates that and from what I understand the larger the diameter the slower the beer travels and less froth hopefully? Is there a huge difference in the quality of beer lines? Are the dirt cheap ones to stay away from?

Some advice from those that have taken the plunge using your hindsight would be appreciated. I'm on a budget like most of us :lol: so price is a factor.

Cheers
chadjaja

Re: The little things to add to a new system?

Postby Clean Brewer » Tuesday Dec 23, 2008 7:18 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of Kegging.. :D

For a start mate, id run with 2 taps and have 4 kegs(2 drinking and 2 conditioning/ready to go when the others blow).. Just get the 2 way splitter to gas the kegs, works well if you dont want a manifold and only have 2 kegs on tap/gassing..

Yes, get a non-return valve, especially if you dont want to risk damaging your reg. I use my 1 mtr of Silicone hose to transfer from cube to keg(aswell as in my AG set-up) or get some food-grade hose for your transfer(a little cheaper), as far as beerline, I have the Valpar Flexmaster 2 stuff and its very solid, the stuff you may have may be cheap and nasty and could kink up... The John Guest fittings are awesome in your system and makes taking off hoses a breeze without worrying about clamps etc..

Not to sure about beer line lengths for taps yet as I use a Bronco Tap but as far as the rest of equipment, get the best you can for a start otherwise you could spend more in the long run, also get some paraliq(food safe lubricant) for your seals, starsan or idophor for sanitising, and maybe PBW to give your kegs and lines a good clean.......

Cheers
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Dec 24, 2008 9:20 am

A few links that you should have a read of....

A Beginners Guide to Kegging

Balancing a Draught System

Building a Kegerator

The article on balancing a draught system has a good calculator right at the bottom in excel format that allows you to work out how long your line needs to be for a set carbonation level. It takes into account your serving temp, what pressure you want to pour at etc. This works well for people who plan on having taps on the fridge door. Its not as good for those of us with bar mounted fonts with beer line outside of the fridge as the change in temperature really needs to be taken into account. For my setup it tells me i need 1.5m of line which is about what i have.

John Guest fittings are more exxy but damn they make life easy. A non return valve is insurance for you reg. I insure my house and car hence i have a non return valve! If you have the cash, grab the 4 keg deal from Ross so you have backup kegs. I started with 4 but am now at 8 and still could use more as they are all full!

The only other thing to think about is whether you want to serve all beers at the same carbonation level. I brew mainly english ales hence why my setup is balanced for 1.6 vols of CO2 which is low by most standards. I occasionally brew lagers and they get served at this lower carb level which isnt ideal but its my bar so people who dont like it can sod right off. If you want to serve both but at different pressures considering getting the dual pressure reg which allows you to have 2 different pressures from the one gas bottle. You then need different length lines for lager vs ale.

Hope my ramblings are of some use..... :lol:

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Dec 24, 2008 7:30 pm

Cheers boys. Thanks for the comments.

Yeah Doctor I will be investing in some more kegs in time as the chest will take 4 kegs and I'll want an extra or two for conditioning and cleaning etc.

Most of my beers are ales so I'm not too concerned about the diff carbonation levels. Thanks for the links too mate. I'll be waiting for the postie come Monday morning :lol:

Now to pick out the best fridgemate to control the freezer temp.
chadjaja

Postby chadjaja » Monday Dec 29, 2008 5:45 pm

Kegs arrived today, the first mailday after xmas and I'm impressed with kegsonline.com.au and its speedy delivery.

Today I picked up the gas line splitter ss T bar, some more line, a bronco tap, some more beer and gas line and another gas connect. I got one of the better quality ones that you need to add the gass barb by screwing it on with another nut. They seem better quality than the cheapish ones I got with the kit but it may not have been necessary. I can though add a john guest connection to it instead of just adding the hose to the barb itself. I'm told by the guys at G&G that I don't really even need to use clamps as the lines are 4 and 5mm and the connections they go on are all 6mm. I might just put clamps on all the gas ones anyway as I can't really hurt.

The kit came with two lots line. Beer and gas and both are the same diameter. G&G gave me smaller 4mm for the beer and 5mm for the gas lines instead. I take it I just buy racking tubing from Bunnings? At a decent length and one that fits the fermenter tap.

Both kegs came pressurised and with pepsi and 7up in them. But at least with new seals etc.

Regulator doesn't have a gas shut off valve where the gas line goes either. Is that crucial or can I just not use one without too much of a problem.

Now to add another keg to the lot and eventually two more taps. The world of kegging is getting closer and closer. Two kegs = 130 less stubbies washed :mrgreen:
chadjaja

Postby Trough Lolly » Wednesday Dec 31, 2008 4:12 pm

Have you got some keg lube? It's handy to avoid sticking disconnects and excessive wear on the keg post O-rings...

Give the kegs a good wash and replace the seals so you don't have lingering soda flavour in the beer when you pour a glass or twenty!

Keep the stubbies and give them out a six pack gifts when mates do a favour for you - they'll be impressed with your bottling skills, and generosity and you don't have to sweat them not coming back!

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby chadjaja » Saturday Jan 10, 2009 6:12 pm

Any advice on how to get beer lines onto the ball lock barbs and beer shanks??

G&G gave me 4mm for my beer line and the barbs are 6mm. I've tried heating them up in a mug of boiling water but to no avail. I've got the gas lines split and onto the T junction just fine and its 5mm.

I dare say the lines I got from G&G are better than the clear PVC looking 5-6mm ones I got with my keg kit. I would also assume the 4mm would be better to avoid frothing issues.

Whats your secret guys??

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
chadjaja

Postby Tipsy » Sunday Jan 11, 2009 6:38 pm

I heat the barbs themselves (in hot water) rather than the line, they then seem to push in easily
Tipsy

Postby chadjaja » Sunday Jan 11, 2009 7:30 pm

Yeah I got the 5mm lines on using that method but the 4mm is a biatch! :shock:
chadjaja

Postby Shaun » Thursday Jan 15, 2009 7:18 pm

chadjaja wrote:Any advice on how to get beer lines onto the ball lock barbs and beer shanks??

G&G gave me 4mm for my beer line and the barbs are 6mm. I've tried heating them up in a mug of boiling water but to no avail. I've got the gas lines split and onto the T junction just fine and its 5mm.

I dare say the lines I got from G&G are better than the clear PVC looking 5-6mm ones I got with my keg kit. I would also assume the 4mm would be better to avoid frothing issues.

Whats your secret guys??

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I got mine on by heating the line up then expanding it by pushing it on to a plastic chopstick. Once it had expanded enough I inserted it on the barb.
Shaun

Postby chadjaja » Thursday Jan 15, 2009 7:26 pm

A plastic chopstick just might be the go. Thanks I'll give it a try :D

I've already learnt the lesson to remember to put the clamps on the line BEFORE you put both ends on the barbs :lol: :lol:

Chest freezer is HERE, painted/covered and awaiting a collar, tempmate is awaiting wiring, taps and everything else waiting to be installed.....

I'll post pics of how a crap old chest freezer has been coverted to a dressed up old keezer when I'm done :mrgreen:
chadjaja

Return to Kegging