Do I have to keg the entire batch?

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Do I have to keg the entire batch?

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Jan 07, 2009 8:30 pm

One would think that I can fill a 18lt corny with only 10lts and bottle 10lts if the total brew volume is say 20lts. After all the keg will eventually get to 10lts or lower when drunk. For some of my stronger beers like my leffe clone or even a abbey ale I'd like more than the dregs to bottle mature and be able to take them to friends places for dinner etc.

Is there anything I have to do different from the nomal purging off oxygen and carbing up??
chadjaja

Re: Do I have to keg the entire batch?

Postby pixelboy » Wednesday Jan 07, 2009 8:54 pm

sorry mate I dont know much about the kegging...

But taking the leffe clone or an abbey ale to a mates place for dinner??? He better be a good mate :lol: :lol:
pixelboy

Postby timmy » Thursday Jan 08, 2009 7:11 am

Hi,

I've done this a couple of times (only half filling a keg, that is). I just syphon the brew in there, seal it and then hit it with the Co2. This won't get rid of the oxygen but given CO2 is heavier than oxygen it should'nt affect the beer. I suppose you could always pressurise the keg, leave it for a while (10 mins or so) then release some of the pressure which should in theory vent the oxygen at the top.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby Shaun » Thursday Jan 15, 2009 7:49 pm

chadjaja wrote:
Is there anything I have to do different from the nomal purging off oxygen and carbing up??

No. It will just take a little more gas to purge as you have a bigger head space.

Tim wrote:This won't get rid of the oxygen but given CO2 is heavier than oxygen it should'nt affect the beer. I suppose you could always pressurise the keg, leave it for a while (10 mins or so) then release some of the pressure which should in theory vent the oxygen at the top.

Purging will get rid of the oxygen because of the reason you stated. CO2 is heavier so when you pressurize the keg the oxygen will be forced to the top of the keg then forced out of the keg first when the pressure release valve is opened.
Shaun

Return to Kegging