Pics of my new keezer/kegarator!

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Pics of my new keezer/kegarator!

Postby chadjaja » Friday Jan 16, 2009 10:56 am

Obviously it doesn't have its collar with the three taps installed as its sitting on the top so you get the idea, tap two and three not pictured, the temp control isn't in its box yet or wired up but.....

I decided to do the whole lid sides and all. Its not perfect as the sides aren't completely square and flat but I think the overall look is pretty good. It looks pretty smick me thinks and worthy of being inside the house when we get our own. It will after the collar is put on hold 4 kegs and the gas bottle/reg. All contained to make it look clean. Will most probably only have 3 beers on tap at this stage and a bronco tap is there if I really want to run the 4th anyway.

Just sprayed with gloss enamel and vinyl sticky floor tiles on the lid cut to measure. The collar will be fairly high to fit the kegs on the compressor hump(about a ft high) and it will be gloss white or black, I haven't decided yet. All done for under $20. Freezer cost me $150. If anyone can tell me what the switches do on the control panel on the front do it would be much appreciated. :D

Before.

AFTER! :D

Last edited by chadjaja on Tuesday Jan 27, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chadjaja

Re: Pics of my new keezer almost comple.

Postby wrighty » Friday Jan 16, 2009 1:14 pm

By switches i assume you mean near thermostat bottom right hand .
1 most likley is fast freeze switch witch just bridges out the stat and makes freezer run flat out.
2. maybe on/off.
None of the above will matter after you modify it as it takes it out of equation.
Simple way to mod any fridge/freezer is buy a ranco /penn coolroom stat that has temp and differential control (ie cut in /out)

Drill a small hole to feed probe through mount probe away from sidewall /plate.
Mount stat where its easy to acess.
Pick up wires off existing stat ,earth as well,use a piece of appliance cord make safe connections.
run other end to new stat wire up set temp and diff (2c is good ).
All done
Now im not saying every one to have ago at this but if you have some knowlege and are confident its fairly straight foward.
having said all that it is illegal unless you have app licence or your mates with a fridgey or sparky.
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Postby Shaun » Friday Jan 16, 2009 1:31 pm

Looking good.

I would swap the white tiles for yellow though ;)
Shaun

Postby chadjaja » Friday Jan 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Ahh..... why did you have to take my cool retro mod vibe and replace it with that of the pies :evil:

And I've already got the fridgemate as you can see so thats the option for controlling temp. Do you guys sit the probe in a bottle of water or just let it dangle. I've heard both sides of that story.
chadjaja

Postby Wags » Friday Jan 16, 2009 2:19 pm

chadjaja wrote:Ahh..... why did you have to take my cool retro mod vibe and replace it with that of the pies :evil:
Lookin good. You could put some flames on the side 8) , or dangle a fluffy dice from the tap :D
Wags

Postby Tipsy » Friday Jan 16, 2009 3:28 pm

chadjaja wrote:Ahh..... why did you have to take my cool retro mod vibe and replace it with that of the pies :evil:

Don't worry, I'm with your vibe.....in fact, why don't you bring it around my place and park it next to my Triumph Bonney 8)
Tipsy

Postby chadjaja » Tuesday Jan 27, 2009 3:48 pm

OK here it is as it will look!

Just need to find the best place in Melb to hire a gas bottle. Third tap isn't in yet but i've only got the two kegs for the moment so no bid deal. Fridgmate works perfectly and it seals really well. In fact its hardly on. PC fan is blowing the cold air around as well. Still to find a decent priced drip tray that I'll attatch to the front via brackets and ledge. Hence I put the taps closer together so I need a smaller one and so there is less chance of knocking the taps when putting kegs in or out of it.

What ya reckon guys? :D

chadjaja

Re: Pics of my new keezer/kegarator!

Postby Shaun » Tuesday Jan 27, 2009 5:05 pm

Looking very good.

I would buy a 6.8 kg My Keg on legs cylinder. You can get them at most HBS now. I am picking mine up on Friday. Cost is $350 full and you then own the cylinder when you need a refill take it back and swap for a full one, refill is $50. No more ongoing rental.

http://www.mykegonlegs.com.au/
Shaun

Postby chadjaja » Tuesday Jan 27, 2009 5:32 pm

Yeah thats the plan but I'm on budget for now with an overseas trip planned etc so I'll prob rent for a year and then buy one.

Anyone recommend a place in Melb? I'd only want the 4.5kg size tank to fit in the keezer.
chadjaja

Postby pixelboy » Tuesday Jan 27, 2009 7:25 pm

/me is very jelous !
pixelboy

Postby Gym_ » Thursday Jan 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Yer good stuff mate .. id luv to set up a chest frezer instead of my fridge .. owww well always next time .. i made a boo boo in puting my tap dead center in the frdge now i want to add anuther tap and its going to be off center,, grrrrr ..
I also got to get a 8kg bottle becose im geting sick of soada stream ones.. i rang up BOC yesterday they want 200 bucks + GST to rent a bottle for 12 months and 1 lot of gas ...
any one have anyiders what to do about the off centerd tap .. spoz i could put 3 in but i can only fit 2 in my frige unless i jam in a 9-liter one

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
Gym_

Postby chadjaja » Thursday Jan 29, 2009 7:39 pm

Im actually setting up a Boc account tomorrow.

I walk out the door or have it delivered full of gas for an initial $42. Then its 35 cents a day or roughly $10 a month hire either on a monthly/quarterly or yearly where you get a %5 discount.

Most of the homebrew shops have been saying they only have the 9kg bottles and I wanted the 4.5kg size but settling on the 6kg. Was easier to just set up an account locally than have to get a shop do special orders or try as by the sounds of it they aren't sure if they can get 4.5kg size anymore and not sure about the availabilty of the 6kg even.

The bottle is going in the keezer so value isn't as important as size.
chadjaja

Postby Shanus » Thursday Jan 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Gym_ wrote:Yer good stuff mate .. id luv to set up a chest frezer instead of my fridge .. owww well always next time .. i made a boo boo in puting my tap dead center in the frdge now i want to add anuther tap and its going to be off center,, grrrrr ..
I also got to get a 8kg bottle becose im geting sick of soada stream ones.. i rang up BOC yesterday they want 200 bucks + GST to rent a bottle for 12 months and 1 lot of gas ...
any one have anyiders what to do about the off centerd tap .. spoz i could put 3 in but i can only fit 2 in my frige unless i jam in a 9-liter one

can you put two kegs on the bottom and one up on the hump so fitting 3 and then using 3 taps
Shanus

Postby Gym_ » Saturday Jan 31, 2009 12:19 pm

No i don’t think there’s any were near enough room but i might be able to put a 9l on top of the other 2 .. know till i get one .. :roll:
Gym_

Postby Shaun » Sunday Feb 01, 2009 3:24 pm

Gym_ wrote:No i don’t think there’s any were near enough room but i might be able to put a 9l on top of the other 2 .. know till i get one .. :roll:

Level out the bottom by building up to the one level, only takes a simple step, and take the back of the door off and replace it with ply or similar and I recon you will get 3 kegs in there.
Shaun

Postby James L » Sunday Feb 01, 2009 8:01 pm

Guys,

just put a deposit down on a keg fridge... its a Skope SL295... Worth at least 2K, sold for $350 due to thermostat probs.. i did the measurements, she'll definately hold 6 kegs.. Got glass sliding doors (both sides) and fluorescent lights for ambience...

I"ll get some photos as soon as i get her home.
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby Gym_ » Sunday Feb 01, 2009 9:37 pm

I want to steal one of my old mans chest freezers ..
He’s got 2 of the bustards ( brand new) and they would have to be 7 or 8 feet long..
Every time I go over there and see them I just think wholly shit I could get like 20 kegs in one of thou and have 15 taps coming out the lid with every type of beer imaginable
OMG I it would be like dyeing and going to home brewers heaven
PS good score ont eh fridge mate ..
Gym_

Return to Kegging