after my first set-up

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

after my first set-up

Postby beerbaron » Sunday Feb 22, 2009 8:04 pm

I want to have beer on tap in my bar, I have no idea what set up I need. I have a large cupboard that is on the opposite side of the side wall of the bar that I had planned to have most of the set up in and then run the pipes through the wall and into the tap on the bar. Hope that explanation made sense, like I said I have no idea what is involved in the process and what's needed so any help would be greatly appreciated
beerbaron

Re: after my first set-up

Postby warra48 » Monday Feb 23, 2009 5:35 am

I don't keg my beer, so can't help you directly.

However, have a read through the Kegging section of this forum, and then come back with any specific questions.

Others on here keg, and they should be able to guide you.
warra48

Postby drsmurto » Monday Feb 23, 2009 10:04 am

There are 2-3 options for kegging. have a look thru this thread - Linky

The most common would be those who build kegerators. That is, the fridge/freezer holds the kegs and taps come out the front.

The 2nd option is the one i have and that is a regular font on a beer with lines running from a fridge.

These 2 options rely on you being able to store the beer in a fridge/freezer.

There is a 3rd option and that is a temprite. Beer is stored in kegs at room temperature and as run thru a temprite (heat exchanger) and then out thru a tap.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby beerbaron » Monday Feb 23, 2009 5:30 pm

yeah drsmurto the 2nd option was what I have in mind, I have a chest freezer to use, but what else do I need? There is about 1.5 metres from where I want the freezer to where I want the tap to be? Thanks for the replys
beerbaron

Postby Clean Brewer » Monday Feb 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Start having a look here mate, plenty of inspiration and im sure youll toss up a few options after that..

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... wtopic=235
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby Gym_ » Monday Feb 23, 2009 11:40 pm

Most people new to keging ( including myself ) find the easiest thing to do is buy a complete kit in one clean whack like this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Home-Brew-KEGGIN ... 240%3A1318

And if u want to use a freezer or a bar then just ask for a different type of tap ..
having beer coming out of your bar is cool but I would make sure that there was as min line as possible going from the cooling device eg fridge/ freezer / inline cooler, as whatever beer is in thous lines is going to be room temp in a minute or two ..
Having half a glass of warm beer or your guests watching u tip half a glass of beer down the drain every round might sort of take the shine out of having a fancy bar with beer on tap..
beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
Gym_

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Feb 24, 2009 9:44 am

I have ~1-1.5m of line outside my fridge. It is wrapped in a black insulating foam tube.

The first 1/4 of a pint is warm (not room temp - it takes a lot longer than a few mins for the beer to go from fridge temp to room temp). The rest of the pint is topped up with cold beer so the actual temp of the first pint of beer is slightly warmer than the fridge temp (which is my case is 9C).

If you tell us whereabouts you live we can direct you to someone local to supply your needs.

I bought all my gear from Ross at Craftbrewer who was happy to sit on the phone to me on numerous occasions to discuss my needs before i actually bought anything. I then hassled him a few more times trying to get the setup right and he was more than willing to do so.

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Gym_ » Tuesday Feb 24, 2009 2:07 pm

1M insulated line wouldn’t be too bad , the further south ya are the better also ..
Having 3 or 4 meters of exposed line here or in far north QLD on the other hand I would not like to be having the 1st glass out of …
Gym_

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Feb 24, 2009 3:05 pm

40+ down here Gym and my bar is outside in a tin shed. Dunno what being down south has to do with it - we hold the heatwave record (for cities).

But then i prefer my beer warmer than most. 9C is my preference and low carbed (1.7 vol)

The winter is my friend tho - i turn the fridge off for 3-4 months and it holds 10C happily.
drsmurto

Postby Gym_ » Friday Feb 27, 2009 1:51 pm

drsmurto wrote:i turn the fridge off for 3-4 months and it holds 10C happily.

Half ya luck ..
Anyway i would still recommend to any mate of mine that exposed beer lines (to the heat) be kept to a min .
Gym_

Return to Kegging